Brexit delayed

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Brexit delayed

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:33 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:09 am Human rights, animal welfare, employment rights, environmental protections are all under threat from the Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill, which is just making its way through Parliament.

This bill will revoke ANY EU derived law at the end of 2023. Anything worth retaining will need to be written anew into UK law.

It will be quite an exercise to determine exactly what its effects are, let alone relegislate for what should be kept (or, more likely kept in a weaker form). God knows how the civil servants will find time to do this . . . but then that's probably the idea.

It allows the Tories to scrap whole swathes of our protections without explicitly debating or even mentioning them. Essentially the kind of thing which scared me most about Brexit in the first place. Renovation by TNT.

But don't worry because Rees-Mogg says: 'In my view the provisions of the Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill are compatible with the Convention rights'. So that's alright then.

This focuses on the environmental aspects but the bill will hit human rights, employment rights etc
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ee-for-all
More detail on this - up to 2400 laws written in the last 50 years will disappear in less than 15 months:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-rhetoric
More on this insanity:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/oc ... wyers-warn
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:36 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:09 am Human rights, animal welfare, employment rights, environmental protections are all under threat from the Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill, which is just making its way through Parliament.

This bill will revoke ANY EU derived law at the end of 2023. Anything worth retaining will need to be written anew into UK law.

It will be quite an exercise to determine exactly what its effects are, let alone relegislate for what should be kept (or, more likely kept in a weaker form). God knows how the civil servants will find time to do this . . . but then that's probably the idea.

It allows the Tories to scrap whole swathes of our protections without explicitly debating or even mentioning them. Essentially the kind of thing which scared me most about Brexit in the first place. Renovation by TNT.

But don't worry because Rees-Mogg says: 'In my view the provisions of the Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill are compatible with the Convention rights'. So that's alright then.

This focuses on the environmental aspects but the bill will hit human rights, employment rights etc
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ee-for-all
More detail on this - up to 2400 laws written in the last 50 years will disappear in less than 15 months:

More on this insanity:

More on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -rees-mogg

Rees-Mogg has gone, thank god, but will this legislation still go on?
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:36 am

More on this insanity:

More on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -rees-mogg

Rees-Mogg has gone, thank god, but will this legislation still go on?
And now it seems another 1400 will go (that's how well understood the impact of this bill is), so that's 3800 laws:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-bill
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

This is appalling. I get that departing the EU would mean that many laws should probably be rewritten. But unless there is something ready to go which would supersede them, it leaves a huge gap in some important areas.

At what point can we sensibly tell the Brexiteers to fuck off. They have already hurt this country enough, now STFU and stop making things worse whilst we try to make the most out of the mess you have landed us in.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988
Brexit-backing Next boss says UK needs more overseas workers
The boss of retailer Next is urging the government to let more foreign workers into the UK to ease labour shortages.

Lord Wolfson, who was a prominent advocate of Brexit, said the UK's current immigration policy was crippling economic growth.
"I think in respect of immigration, it's definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit wanted," he said.
"And we have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument, we have to remember that what post-Brexit Britain looks like, is not the preserve of those people that voted Brexit, it's for all of us to decide."
ARTICLE CONTINUES
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:45 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988
The boss of retailer Next is urging the government to let more foreign workers into the UK to ease labour shortages.

Lord Wolfson, who was a prominent advocate of Brexit, said the UK's current immigration policy was crippling economic growth.
"I think in respect of immigration, it's definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit wanted," he said.
"And we have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument, we have to remember that what post-Brexit Britain looks like, is not the preserve of those people that voted Brexit, it's for all of us to decide."
ARTICLE CONTINUES
Yeah, we shouldn't be having to pay British workers better! We need to import Romanians who are happy with the low salary we want to offer!

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am
Which Tyler wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:45 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988

ARTICLE CONTINUES
Yeah, we shouldn't be having to pay British workers better! We need to import Romanians who are happy with the low salary we want to offer!

Puja
.its not the brexit I wanted.......heard that a few times. What did they think it would look like??
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:52 pm.its not the brexit I wanted.......heard that a few times. What did they think it would look like??
Dunno, it's exactly the Brexit we warned about
morepork

Post by morepork »

Tax cuts, deregulation, and cheap imported labour. The neoliberal free market muppet trifecta.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Banquo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:52 pm.its not the brexit I wanted.......heard that a few times. What did they think it would look like??
Dunno, it's exactly the Brexit we warned about
exactly so. Project reality.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Puja
.its not the brexit I wanted.......heard that a few times. What did they think it would look like??
In fairness, a few people were sold a pup by Leave politicians going around telling them that of course it wouldn't mean leaving the Common Market, it was just the EU that we were leaving, we're not mad!

I don't expect that excuses Lord Wolfson, who I don't remember being vocal against a no-Deal Brexit when it nearly happened under May, but it's not unfair for a lot of people to say that this wasn't the Brexit they wanted, because there were a lot of different options being talked about at referendum time and most of them were far less extreme than the one that was eventually deemed TheWillOfThePeopleTM.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Puja
In fairness, a few people were sold a pup by Leave politicians going around telling them that of course it wouldn't mean leaving the Common Market, it was just the EU that we were leaving, we're not mad!

I don't expect that excuses Lord Wolfson, who I don't remember being vocal against a no-Deal Brexit when it nearly happened under May, but it's not unfair for a lot of people to say that this wasn't the Brexit they wanted, because there were a lot of different options being talked about at referendum time and most of them were far less extreme than the one that was eventually deemed TheWillOfThePeopleTM.

Puja
Must confess I didn't even entertain the thought that leaving the EU meant not leaving the Customs Union tbh, but then I probably understood the question.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I almost spat out my coffee when I heard this article on the radio it’s morning. Prominent Brexit support who thinks that stopping EU citizens from working in his shops is fine. But then moans about the lack of workers. At any point did he look at his workforce and identify their nationality?

Just shows that Brexit meant many different things:

Stop immigration for some
British jobs for British workers for others
We decide for plenty
Hard Brexit, soft Brexit. So many options.

Which is why I blame Cameron for this utter fucking mess. If he felt that there was no avoiding a referendum then he should have:
Reviewed the 50% plus 1 for such a major constitutional change and gone for a higher pass mark. Other countries do this. And
Ensured that there was a clear manifesto for what Brexit actually meant. With two Brexit campaigns the message was confusing, trying to implement the result has been a disaster and has left us at the mercy of the nutters as everyone else gets bored.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja
We would have:

A ceremonial burning of the EU flag, legislation and any random Europeans hanging around,
Rule Britannia on the radio every hour,
Proud British PMs banging desks in the EU to demand they meet our requirements because we’re the British and we won the last war,
A reconquest of the Empire, or at least the nicer bits.
A ban on all immigration, except where we need foreign workers which is pretty much everywhere it would appear.
The immediate restitution of Britain as the worlds leading industrial nation as the EU was to blame for us not being at the top.
The removal of any legislation that annoyed them, which is anything the Daily Mail likes to moan about.

Think that’s about it but might have missed a few things. Being realistic wasn’t a strong point of the Brexit campaigns.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Banquo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:17 pm

Puja
Must confess I didn't even entertain the thought that leaving the EU meant not leaving the Customs Union tbh, but then I probably understood the question.
:D :lol: :lol:
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Donny osmond wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Puja
And in a nutshell, there was the Brexit problem. It became too emotional. No one really wants to get into the real nuts and bolts of the EU, its legislation and our relationship and those who do are very odd - Christopher Chope for example. But a passing glance will see that there are benefits to membership that we would not have enjoyed on the outside.

But none of that mattered with the 'take back control' mantra, assisted by the dislike of immigration for many of those who supported brexit.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:22 pm
Donny osmond wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm
And in a nutshell, there was the Brexit problem. It became too emotional. No one really wants to get into the real nuts and bolts of the EU, its legislation and our relationship and those who do are very odd - Christopher Chope for example. But a passing glance will see that there are benefits to membership that we would not have enjoyed on the outside.

But none of that mattered with the 'take back control' mantra, assisted by the dislike of immigration for many of those who supported brexit.
Brexit could have been done is so many different ways that it was perfect for arch-cakeist, arch-liar Johnson. Literally anything good was possible and nothing bad because there was always a version of Brexit in which that was the case.

If only Cameron had:
not had the referendum at all;
or
set a greater that 50% threshold;
or
allowed 16 and 17 year olds to vote;
or
had treasury produce estimates on the impact on our economy which could have been stuck on the side of a bus;
or
made clear the referendum was indicative only and merely the start of a discussion;
or
chosen a particular, clearly defined version of Brexit to vote on;
or
at the end of it, steered us to a softer Brexit rather than fucking off and leaving us with this disaster.

All of our shit* stems from Cameron.

*okay maybe not Covid and Putin . . . although the state of the NHS didn't help, nor did letting Putin take Crimea and his oligarchs buy their way into the UK. So yeah, he left us with shaky foundations for those too.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:20 pm This is appalling. I get that departing the EU would mean that many laws should probably be rewritten. But unless there is something ready to go which would supersede them, it leaves a huge gap in some important areas.

At what point can we sensibly tell the Brexiteers to fuck off. They have already hurt this country enough, now STFU and stop making things worse whilst we try to make the most out of the mess you have landed us in.
It's vandalism. It's chaos. Brexit allows parliament to change any of these laws. But this torching of legislation will cause changes everywhere (without debate or understanding) and leave everyone unsure what the law actually is. It's almost like a bill that removes every fifth clause in every UK statute, just for the hell of it.

If Sunak is actually a responsible and, dare I say, a conservative PM, he will stop this bill.
Son of Mathonwy

Amendments will be tabled to reduce the impact of this horror bill. I doubt there'll be anything like enough Tory rebels to carry them though . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 00-eu-laws
cashead

Post by cashead »

It’s honestly astounding how Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

cashead wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:42 pm It’s honestly astounding how Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving.
It has utterly destroyed British politics. And the economy. And much of society. And it was all self inflicted and could have been avoided.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:27 pm
cashead wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:42 pm It’s honestly astounding how Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving.
It has utterly destroyed British politics. And the economy. And much of society. And it was all self inflicted and could have been avoided.
Farage-inflicted. Jesus, I watched a YouTube clip of that shit on Question time before the referendum today. So depressing. Literally every problem facing everyone was blamed on immigration - can get a job? Can't get on the housing ladder? Not paid enough? Schools overcrowded? Can't get an operation? All because of EU immigration.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:27 pm
Hey now, I never said it was a good gift.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:39 pm
Looks like he preferred to digest his own tongue rather than tell viewers the truth.