Ireland's Boring Style

Zhivago

Ireland's Boring Style

Post by Zhivago »

Sorry guys, looks like you're the worst of all Tier 1 teams when it comes to expansive play (using the recognised metric of Passes Per Ruck).Image
Last edited by Zhivago on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

SerjeantWildgoose

Re: Ireland's Boring Style

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Go on. I'll bite.

You say on the WMB that this stat is being used in various articles? To what purpose. I have had a look at the ESPN stats site and can't see where you're getting your stats from, how you are putting them together (Is it total passes per game divided by total rucks per game?) or what they are supposed to suggest.

If you did this for a sevens game you'd get a comparatively huge number - and frankly sevens bores the hoop off me.

So Ireland play it tight? So fecking what?

I'll tell you what's boring, Mucker. Gimp's like you going through exercises like this and then littering our perfectly peaceful MB with your dribble.
Idle Feck
Digby

Post by Digby »

The metric being used doesn't tell you much, teams that kick a lot and rack up a decent number of 0 passes per phase might still be the most expansive of sides when they do actually put the ball through the hand. What you really want to know with passing is does it get you anywhere? Some sides, Wales for instance, play a fair amount of rugby going sideways being patient and hoping for penalties when the other side gets bored, you can rack up a lot of passes, but one might question if it's interesting.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Digby wrote:The metric being used doesn't tell you much, teams that kick a lot and rack up a decent number of 0 passes per phase might still be the most expansive of sides when they do actually put the ball through the hand. What you really want to know with passing is does it get you anywhere? Some sides, Wales for instance, play a fair amount of rugby going sideways being patient and hoping for penalties when the other side gets bored, you can rack up a lot of passes, but one might question if it's interesting.
Successful teams play to their strengths. If Scotland were achieving the level of success that Ireland currently achieve, I would be more than happy for them to labelled the “most boring team in the world” by people who substitute simplistic statistics for understanding of the game.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Ireland's Boring Style

Post by Donny osmond »

Stones of granite wrote:
Digby wrote:The metric being used doesn't tell you much, teams that kick a lot and rack up a decent number of 0 passes per phase might still be the most expansive of sides when they do actually put the ball through the hand. What you really want to know with passing is does it get you anywhere? Some sides, Wales for instance, play a fair amount of rugby going sideways being patient and hoping for penalties when the other side gets bored, you can rack up a lot of passes, but one might question if it's interesting.
Successful teams play to their strengths. If Scotland were achieving the level of success that Ireland currently achieve, I would be more than happy for them to labelled the “most boring team in the world” by people who substitute simplistic statistics for understanding of the game.
Exactly. I dont particularly like Ireland's style, but if situations were different and Scotland were playing and being successful with it, I'd be over the moon.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:Go on. I'll bite.

You say on the WMB that this stat is being used in various articles? To what purpose. I have had a look at the ESPN stats site and can't see where you're getting your stats from, how you are putting them together (Is it total passes per game divided by total rucks per game?) or what they are supposed to suggest.

If you did this for a sevens game you'd get a comparatively huge number - and frankly sevens bores the hoop off me.

So Ireland play it tight? So fecking what?

I'll tell you what's boring, Mucker. Gimp's like you going through exercises like this and then littering our perfectly peaceful MB with your dribble.
Highlighted - that's how I calculated.

I just read this article https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/508304 where they use it and then I wanted to know how the other teams compared.

Perhaps boring is the wrong word, can say 'less expansive' perhaps...

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Stones of granite wrote:
I agree with this. I'm not slating Ireland's success - they are an excellent team. But they are dire to watch as a neutral. It is boring but it's effective and it's winning rugby and that is what matters ultimately.
SerjeantWildgoose

I’m not entirely convinced you are a neutral. Some of your posts on another thread on this MB might suggest you are one of the principal cheerleaders of the ABI club.
Idle Feck
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Is this the moral victory thread?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I’m not entirely convinced you are a neutral. Some of your posts on another thread on this MB might suggest you are one of the principal cheerleaders of the ABI club.
If this is directed at me then the only other thread I ever contribute to on here is the Paddy Jackson & Stuart Olding one. So I'm going to have to assume you're actually mentally ill.

If it's directed elsewhere - apologies, carry on.
SerjeantWildgoose

BBD wrote:Is this the moral victory thread?
No. This is the high indignation thread.

Moral Victory is two doors down the corridor on the left, but I’m afraid Mr Pyrrhic is off at present with a very bad case of heartburn.
Idle Feck
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I’m not entirely convinced you are a neutral. Some of your posts on another thread on this MB might suggest you are one of the principal cheerleaders of the ABI club.
If this is directed at me then the only other thread I ever contribute to on here is the Paddy Jackson & Stuart Olding one. So I'm going to have to assume you're actually mentally ill.

If it's directed elsewhere - apologies, carry on.
Your assessment of Sarge is roughly correct. But I would not call him just mentally ill - more of a raving looney. He is, after all, a Munster supporter, and I think he may have spent some time in Birr.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Stop the bickering and concentrate on how a NH team can beat a SH team in the quarters.

The ABs might be very confident of beating you as ‘it’s their right’ but you boys know how to put one over on them.

Good luck and may the rub of the green be with you!
SerjeantWildgoose

Bickering is what we do on here. Coming up with a reasonable and coherent plan to beat anyone, not so much.
Idle Feck
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What would be the point anyway?

The Welsh are still invested in this illegitimate World Cup, having not been informed that it’s officially devalued. I guess they can stick their devalued World Cup trophy alongside their 2 or 3 devalued 6N / grand slam titles.
SerjeantWildgoose

I think that the devaluation of this World Cup is now approaching sporting toxicity. In fact I will be thoroughly embarrassed if Ireland were not to grasp the very next opportunity to make a dignified exit.

The whole sorry debacle should be left to those money-grasping unions that still feel honour may be served by playing along with those typhoon-manipulating Kiwis
Idle Feck
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I think that the devaluation of this World Cup is now approaching sporting toxicity. In fact I will be thoroughly embarrassed if Ireland were not to grasp the very next opportunity to make a dignified exit.

The whole sorry debacle should be left to those money-grasping unions that still feel honour may be served by playing along with those typhoon-manipulating Kiwis
If, in fact, the NZRU has discovered how to manipulate the weather then I have two questions:

1. Isn't the deaths of dozens of people and destruction of hundreds of homes a bit excessive to avoid a pool match against the might of Italy? I mean, for a final v the Springboks a little collateral damage might be acceptable but this seems to be slightly over the top.

2. Can the NZRU not do something about the current conditions in Auckland? It's supposed to be mid-Spring yet its pissing down, blowing a gale and was 14 degrees when I left this morning.

Re: RE: Re: Ireland's Boring Style

Post by kUD »

Lizard wrote: 2. Can the NZRU not do something about the current conditions in Auckland? It's supposed to be mid-Spring yet its pissing down, blowing a gale and was 14 degrees when I left this morning.
High summer in Wellington then....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Lizard wrote:
SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I think that the devaluation of this World Cup is now approaching sporting toxicity. In fact I will be thoroughly embarrassed if Ireland were not to grasp the very next opportunity to make a dignified exit.

If, in fact, the NZRU has discovered how to manipulate the weather then I have two questions:

1. Isn't the deaths of dozens of people and destruction of hundreds of homes a bit excessive to avoid a pool match against the might of Italy? I mean, for a final v the Springboks a little collateral damage might be acceptable but this seems to be slightly over the top.

2. Can the NZRU not do something about the current conditions in Auckland? It's supposed to be mid-Spring yet its pissing down, blowing a gale and was 14 degrees when I left this morning.
If you are wanting something in Auckland sorted you need to speak to the ARU. Auckland is an Australian city after all.
cashead

Post by cashead »

canta_brian wrote:Auckland is an Australian city after all.
HOW DARE YOU. THIS IS SLANDER, THIS, MOST CERTAINLY, WILL NOT BE PUT WITH UP!
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
SerjeantWildgoose

Dead right Cash. It’s a shit hole just outside Darlington.
Idle Feck
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

cashead wrote:
canta_brian wrote:Auckland is an Australian city after all.
HOW DARE YOU. THIS IS SLANDER, THIS, MOST CERTAINLY, WILL NOT BE PUT WITH UP!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_ ... f_Auckland

Need I say more?