IRB World Rankings

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Puja

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Puja wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: I'm not in this instance complaining about the 4th place ranking - although you might, ending up below NZ despite getting to the final - it's losing a chunk of ranking points despite a reasonable finish.
I'm actually okay with that - we won against NZ and deserved it, but I think we'll need to do it again to consider ourselves genuinely better, given NZ's recent record and especially given that we couldn't back it up against SA.

I think there's a reasonable chance that SA are actually not quite as good as NZ and England, if we were to play the same games 10 times over, but you can't really argue with the Champions having the #1 ranking, especially with the demolition job they did on England in the final.

Puja
Sure, that's fine. I have no problem with that.

It's the points. Should SA really be 2 points ahead of NZ, 5 above England, 9 above Wales??
Ah, fair enough. In which case, no, they shouldn't be, which is why the double points for a RWC is stupid.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Puja wrote:
I'm actually okay with that - we won against NZ and deserved it, but I think we'll need to do it again to consider ourselves genuinely better, given NZ's recent record and especially given that we couldn't back it up against SA.

I think there's a reasonable chance that SA are actually not quite as good as NZ and England, if we were to play the same games 10 times over, but you can't really argue with the Champions having the #1 ranking, especially with the demolition job they did on England in the final.

Puja

It's the points. Should SA really be 2 points ahead of NZ, 5 above England, 9 above Wales??
Ah, fair enough. In which case, no, they shouldn't be, which is why the double points for a RWC is stupid.

Puja
I may be oversensitive to this, on account of Wales's habit for finishing 4th. :(
cashead

Post by cashead »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Sure, that's fine. I have no problem with that.

That's probably more to do with the fact that World Cup points count double.

And as stupid as it may be, a one-off game shouldn't also be a determinant of the rankings either They'll shift around soon enough anyway, so YMMV.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Son of Mathonwy

cashead wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:Sure, that's fine. I have no problem with that.

That's probably more to do with the fact that World Cup points count double.
Exactly.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Puja wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

Puja
Doesn't seem particularly wrong to me. SA favourites against everyone everywhere, NZ just favourites over SA if playing at home.

You can look at position and Wales are 4th which is where they finished the tournament, or you can look at points and they didn't beat anyone with more points than them and got thumped by the team that was above them. Seems like a net loss isn't unreasonable to me.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Son of Mathonwy

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Puja wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sure, that's fine. I have no problem with that.

Puja
Doesn't seem particularly wrong to me. SA favourites against everyone everywhere, NZ just favourites over SA if playing at home.

You can look at position and Wales are 4th which is where they finished the tournament, or you can look at points and they didn't beat anyone with more points than them and got thumped by the team that was above them. Seems like a net loss isn't unreasonable to me.
I think we'll just have to disagree on this.