Train > Plane

Zhivago

Train > Plane

Post by Zhivago »

France are banning short distance flights where there is a workable train option. As a lover of night trains, I am overjoyed with this news and hope that it signals a rennaissance of the European night train network. Who is with me?

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Digby

Re: Train > Plane

Post by Digby »

It is a good idea, though if say going from London to Edinburgh for the 6N I wouldn't object to a 45 min plane ride.

Fingers crossed for hyperloop or some alternative alternative that similarly offers greater speed and a beneficial environmental impact
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Digby wrote:It is a good idea, though if say going from London to Edinburgh for the 6N I wouldn't object to a 45 min plane ride.

Fingers crossed for hyperloop or some alternative alternative that similarly offers greater speed and a beneficial environmental impact
There's a great night train up to Scotland from London.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Puja

Post by Puja »

It's the one thing that makes me sort of in favour of HS2 - transport infrastructure should be such that there is no real need to plane from London-Edinburgh or even Edinburgh-Paris/Berlin/Madrid.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

You are all serial killers.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Digby wrote:It is a good idea, though if say going from London to Edinburgh for the 6N I wouldn't object to a 45 min plane ride.

Have you been on it? It’s one of those things that I’m wanting to do when I get the excuse.

I kind of agree with the idea that the train is a better option that short haul. If it means avoiding airport check in then I’m all for it.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:

Have you been on it? It’s one of those things that I’m wanting to do when I get the excuse.

I kind of agree with the idea that the train is a better option that short haul. If it means avoiding airport check in then I’m all for it.
I was on it back in 2003 or so. One of my first jobs had me visiting a brokerage office attached to a bank up in Scotland and they decided this was the best/cheapest way to arrange it.

I didn't like it, but whilst I fell asleep on long journeys before the age of 4 I don't now. So I just arrived tired. (though in better shape than the Scottish staff coming down to London, who on more than one occasion arrived absolutely shit faced)

The airport check in is a pain, but it's still vastly quicker to fly, and it's cheap to fly. It's just a slight issue across numerous environmental areas of concern
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:

I also haven't. I would if I lived in London. Once they finally introduce this eurostar from Amsterdam to London then it becomes a possibility for me.

Originally they had plans for the Channel tunnel to carry night trains between Europe and all over Britain but they scrapped it and sold the rolling stock to Canada.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightstar_(train)
Last edited by Zhivago on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Digby wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Zhivago wrote:

I was on it back in 2003 or so. One of my first jobs had me visiting a brokerage office attached to a bank up in Scotland and they decided this was the best/cheapest way to arrange it.

I didn't like it, but whilst I fell asleep on long journeys before the age of 4 I don't now. So I just arrived tired. (though in better shape than the Scottish staff coming down to London, who on more than one occasion arrived absolutely shit faced)

The airport check in is a pain, but it's still vastly quicker to fly, and it's cheap to fly. It's just a slight issue across numerous environmental areas of concern
Strange, normally the rhythm helps me get to sleep. It's another story on the night train from Poland to Ukraine though. Because of the different gauge they have to swap out the bogies in the middle of the night. Noisy process.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!