Fallout - When Hogg met Townsend

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: Fallout - When Hogg met Townsend

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is it naive to hope for anything more comprehensive to come out regarding what actually happened?

There's a fine line here between just being interested in the gossip/controversy and actually understanding which of the players have really let themselves/Scotland down.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

General Zod wrote:
Cameo wrote:
General Zod wrote:It was good to see big dog Hogg was true to his words about learning from dropping the ball over the line in Dublin last time out. If he’d gone down on his belly, he’d have scored that one 9 times out of 10 too. Focus, practice, discipline, selflessness - what a leader.

As for Townsend - if he keeps picking the same players, he’ll get the same results. Far better to consign several of this lot to the dustbin and see where we can get with newer, supposedly less talented players in a few years’ time. We’ll probably win as many professional trophies as we have done for the last 2 decades.
I get that you are pissed but this is nonsense. Yeah, we haven't won trophies, but this group of players have done so much better than any recent crop. They have played some great rugby along the way too. And Hogg has been a huge part of that.

I get that there are issues and some things need to change, but some people are acting like we have had a disastrous year/decade/whatever. We had the fourth best squad in the 6N and finished fourth. I'm disappointed with the performances after the start we had, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater or forget to enjoy the good wins we have.

To see how bad it might become, just have a look at the u20s.
We’ve had a poor year and a poor 2 decades. I’m not saying drop the lot, or that they can’t come back after a spell in the wilderness, but something revolutionary needs to be done. And we need to update the stadium significantly, if only to keep pace with the money others make from theirs.
Do you not think this decade has been significantly better than the last?

Have always dreamt that they could bring that fourth side up to the same height (and put a roof on), but imagine that would be ridiculously expensive.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Cameo wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Cameo wrote:
I get that you are pissed but this is nonsense. Yeah, we haven't won trophies, but this group of players have done so much better than any recent crop. They have played some great rugby along the way too. And Hogg has been a huge part of that.

I get that there are issues and some things need to change, but some people are acting like we have had a disastrous year/decade/whatever. We had the fourth best squad in the 6N and finished fourth. I'm disappointed with the performances after the start we had, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater or forget to enjoy the good wins we have.

To see how bad it might become, just have a look at the u20s.
We’ve had a poor year and a poor 2 decades. I’m not saying drop the lot, or that they can’t come back after a spell in the wilderness, but something revolutionary needs to be done. And we need to update the stadium significantly, if only to keep pace with the money others make from theirs.
Do you not think this decade has been significantly better than the last?

Have always dreamt that they could bring that fourth side up to the same height (and put a roof on), but imagine that would be ridiculously expensive.
It’s been better, but not significantly - not where it counts. A rubbish world cup and a QF, plus a few AI wins and a load of 4th place finishes. Big wow. Admittedly nice to see a few CC wins though, I have to say.

I think it’s more that they need the corporate turnover. I saw one version of a redeveloped east stand with some corporate facilities out the back, but it looked like something that had been done on the cheap. If they’re keeping the same basic structure and pitch, I think they need to do one stand at a time or move the whole thing westwards a bit and start again while playing at Hampden/ Celtic park for a bit.
stevedog1980

Post by stevedog1980 »

Prior to the 6N a few of us said that the important thing was the performance and not only the result. With that in mind, last year were were 2 scores away from a grand slam. That would not have been achievable in previous decades
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

I'm with General Zod.

The only way the rugby has improved is down to individual athleticism, not better rugby.

Our performances are still significantly worse than the teams we play against, excepting Italy, and this year England.

Our players still treat a win Vs England as the only thing that matters.

We're still making ridiculous excuses for our players and their lack of professionalism.

We're still looking for any and every carpet to sweep problems under.

We might not like the Irish commentators and their new found arrogance... but they're not wrong.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Donny osmond wrote:I'm with General Zod.

The only way the rugby has improved is down to individual athleticism, not better rugby.

Our performances are still significantly worse than the teams we play against, excepting Italy, and this year England.

We're still making ridiculous excuses for our players and their lack of professionalism.

We might not like the Irish commentators and their new found arrogance... but they're not wrong.

Not going to persuade you but not sure I agree with any of that.

And the Irish commentators thing - that would be fine if all they were saying was they don't rate us or we're not very good. It's not though and posters on her have repeatedly explained why they are just categorically wrong with a lot of what they say about Scotland.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Fallout - When Hogg met Townsend

Post by Donny osmond »

Cameo wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:I'm with General Zod.

Not going to persuade you but not sure I agree with any of that.

And the Irish commentators thing - that would be fine if all they were saying was they don't rate us or we're not very good. It's not though and posters on her have repeatedly explained why they are just categorically wrong with a lot of what they say about Scotland.
I do appreciate your positivity, Cameo, I genuinely do. But I think it's misplaced.

We're in desperate need of a Sexton figure, someone who will tell it as it is and not accept excuses, mistakes, or being 2nd best. And I think that is essentially what the Irish commentators are driving at.

Big D

Post by Big D »

Definitely change in tone with the media, specifically the Mail and Times guys (Robertson and Palmer) around Hogg this week. Seems like there is a feeling he is being set up as a bit of a fall guy by the SRU.