£50m for Stones

WaspInWales

£50m for Stones

Post by WaspInWales »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36693122

Still, if City are happy to pay that, then Everton would be mad not to sell. Great prospect that he is, he is far from the finished article.
Numbers

Re: £50m for Stones

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36693122

Still, if City are happy to pay that, then Everton would be mad not to sell. Great prospect that he is, he is far from the finished article.
Yeah, it appears that centrebacks are required to play the ball out of defence these days, I always thouhght defending was the most important part, the amount of times Stones gave the ball away last season was incredible.
jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

You would think City would learn from Sterling that maybe its worth waiting a season or two for these players to settle down a bit, but in fairness to them they have the cash and probably most importantly, they need the English players. If Stones was Spanish, you'd pick him up for about £7m.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

If I were an England fan I would be quite annoyed that one of our your most promising youngsters could be going to warm the bench at City - the scourge of English defensive talent over the last decade (Lescott, RIchards).
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:

Yeah, it appears that centrebacks are required to play the ball out of defence these days, I always thouhght defending was the most important part, the amount of times Stones gave the ball away last season was incredible.
No-one played well for Everton last season. So is it the defender or the system?

I'd go for the latter.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:

No-one played well for Everton last season. So is it the defender or the system?

I'd go for the latter.
The system doesn't require you to pass the ball to the opposition, which he did, on innumerable occasions last season, as an Everton fan I watched quite a few of the games.

You could blame Martinez for his insistence for playing the ball out from the back but that seems to be the main plus people are always lauding about Stones.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I wonder if Stones may be better off in the kind of role that Dier played for England recently?

He does have great feet for a defender so would be good going forward and it may relieve a little pressure on him being the last line of defence which is where he makes most of his errors.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:I wonder if Stones may be better off in the kind of role that Dier played for England recently?

He does have great feet for a defender so would be good going forward and it may relieve a little pressure on him being the last line of defence which is where he makes most of his errors.
Ideal I would say.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

Numbers wrote:If I were an England fan I would be quite annoyed that one of our your most promising youngsters could be going to warm the bench at City - the scourge of English defensive talent over the last decade (Lescott, RIchards).

No expert on footie but Lescott has to be one of the least talented players despite huge sums paid for him by clubs . At Villa last season he looked as tho' he'd have trouble trapping a medicine ball .
Stom

Post by Stom »

Discreet Hooker wrote:
Numbers wrote:If I were an England fan I would be quite annoyed that one of our your most promising youngsters could be going to warm the bench at City - the scourge of English defensive talent over the last decade (Lescott, RIchards).

No expert on footie but Lescott has to be one of the least talented players despite huge sums paid for him by clubs . At Villa last season he looked as tho' he'd have trouble trapping a medicine ball .
He was one of those quick, strong players bought by a big team because they thought they could mould him into something. Then it turned out they couldn't, so he rotted on the bench for years and became worse. Then he lost his pace and suddenly he's a pretty crappy player.

City shouldn't have that problem again, although Mangala...

Talk is it isn't Stones the 50mil is marked for, it's Bonucci. Which is interesting. 50mil for a 29 year old CB isn't really much of an investment for the future :p