Moderator: Puja

p/d

Re: Leinster v Saints

Post by p/d »

DT reporting Lee Dickson had a poor game
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:14 am I thought Lawes and Augustus were superb. Their competitive edge kept Saints in touch. If they had been able to field a top quality 7, I think they would have won. Nerves and mistakes affected the backs' handling and, once or twice, their defence. Good effort overall.
Saints weren’t smart enough collectively at the breakdown, and will be disappointed in the end. Woeful and nervy for half an hour- I was disappointed with Smith in the opening period, but in the end they showed up, but too late.

Terrible ref, but we knew that, as did Leinster.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 am
Oakboy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:14 am I thought Lawes and Augustus were superb. Their competitive edge kept Saints in touch. If they had been able to field a top quality 7, I think they would have won. Nerves and mistakes affected the backs' handling and, once or twice, their defence. Good effort overall.
Saints weren’t smart enough collectively at the breakdown, and will be disappointed in the end. Woeful and nervy for half an hour- I was disappointed with Smith in the opening period, but in the end they showed up, but too late.

What did you think of Dingwall - genuine question? I think I'm right in saying that his name was not mentioned in commentary until the 32nd minute which is strange with his opposite number (uncapped Osborne) flying through the middle. You would have noticed the defending, I'd guess.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 am

What did you think of Dingwall - genuine question? I think I'm right in saying that his name was not mentioned in commentary until the 32nd minute which is strange with his opposite number (uncapped Osborne) flying through the middle. You would have noticed the defending, I'd guess.
I will admit to watching the game amidst childcare, so I only had half an eye on things at times, but I was under the impression that Dingwall had a very impressive game, especially with ball in hand. Seemed to make a good number of metres through contact, despite being given some uninspiring ball to work with at times.

Puja
Backist Monk
p/d

Post by p/d »

Dingers went well both in attack and defence.

Good quality club player.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

He had a very good game, one marginal offload aside. His name was mentioned a lot. I don’t know if you noticed but Leinster hammered Saints in the first 30 😂😒
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:09 am

Dingers went well both in attack and defence.

Good quality club player.
Better than the 12’s we normally field then 😂😂
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Saints seemed to play to much off of 9 early doors, almost Leinster like plays around the ruck. Dingwall got mullered close in and a lot of the passes didn't go to hand.

Dingwall like a lot of the backs looked better as Saints changed tactics. I was disappointed that it took 30 mins for that change in tactics to come. When Smith took the ball on more himself and started to turn the Leinster defence with his kicking Saints enjoyed a lot more territory and pressure. Second half Fin Smith was very good. I'd have liked to see Smith call that change earlier and take it on himself to make it work, I guess that's an experience thing though and if he were to play the game again next week he'd now probably back himself to change things up earlier.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:46 am

Saints seemed to play to much off of 9 early doors, almost Leinster like plays around the ruck. Dingwall got mullered close in and a lot of the passes didn't go to hand.

Dingwall like a lot of the backs looked better as Saints changed tactics. I was disappointed that it took 30 mins for that change in tactics to come. When Smith took the ball on more himself and started to turn the Leinster defence with his kicking Saints enjoyed a lot more territory and pressure. Second half Fin Smith was very good. I'd have liked to see Smith call that change earlier and take it on himself to make it work, I guess that's an experience thing though and if he were to play the game again next week he'd now probably back himself to change things up earlier.
I wasn't going to point fingers, but Smith was targeted in the first 30 both sides of the ball and found wanting. Mitchell didn't help either. They were sooo nervous in the 1st half. The difference in line speed and intensity was marked and Saints were rabbits in the headlights- happens time and again with English sides, just seem surprised by the intensity- Leinster punched themselves out a bit and their bench was much poorer than their starters. Dingwall had a very good game I thought, bar one pass; some of his defensive reads out a bit wider were excellent. Freeman missed some soft tackles, disppointingly, but looked decent with the ball; Furbank got stick for a poor pass, but actually Ramm over-ran him more than anything.

Reality though- Leinster ruined Saints at the breakdown most of the match, and attacked the lineout successfully, with Langdon having an average day all round tbh.
Last edited by Banquo on Sun May 05, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:04 am

He had a very good game, one marginal offload aside. His name was mentioned a lot. I don’t know if you noticed but Leinster hammered Saints in the first 30 😂😒
Er, yes, I noticed - hence my question about Dingwall in defence, thinking you'd have seen what the commentators (and I) missed. ;)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:57 am

Er, yes, I noticed - hence my question about Dingwall in defence, thinking you'd have seen what the commentators (and I) missed. ;)
he actually got a few mentions in the 1st 30. My point being generally the names that called out are from the dominent side, other than oh 'saint' has dropped it again.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:56 am

I wasn't going to point fingers, but Smith was targeted in the first 30 both sides of the ball and found wanting. Mitchell didn't help either. They were sooo nervous in the 1st half. The difference in line speed and intensity was marked and Saints were rabbits in the headlights- happens time and again with English sides, just seem surprised by the intensity- Leinster punched themselves out a bit and their bench was much poorer than their starters. Dingwall had a very good game I thought, bar one pass; some of his defensive reads out a bit wider were excellent. Freeman missed some soft tackles, disppointingly, but looked decent with the ball; Furbank got stick for a poor pass, but actually Ramm over-ran him more than anything.

Reality though- Leinster ruined Saints at the breakdown most of the match, and attacked the lineout successfully, with Langdon having an average day all round tbh.
Fin Smith was certainly targeted but I thought he stood up really well. The kid made 20 tackles and missed 3. More tackles made and missed than anyone else but he was 8 tackles ahead of the nearest back from Saints and only missed tackle ahead of several others. Smith made more tackles than his back three combined and only 3 less than his centres combined. I think he deserves some credit for that shift.

In attack as I said, the narrower ball in hand game plan didn't work and he obviously struggled with that. The aggressive line speed from Leinster saw attackers over run the pressured ball carrier and many dropped passes. Happened to Mitchell, Dingwall and Smith as they tried to distribute. Once they switched to the mixed game off Smith he was pivotal. His main failing was not calling that on himself earlier.

No Ludlam and no Pearson did see Saints lacking bite at the breakdown. Lawes was really fighting a one man battle there.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Some of Smiths tackles were pretty physical on players a fair bit bigger than him too - one of them after a dodgy Saints line out which resulted in holding the Leinster player up with Dingwall and winning a turnover
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Lawes is playing the rugby of his career. He must be wishing he'd converted to an out-and-out blindside years ago.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Spiffy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:00 pm
Lawes is playing the rugby of his career. He must be wishing he'd converted to an out-and-out blindside years ago.
The irony being it was always his favoured position.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:12 pm

he actually got a few mentions in the 1st 30. My point being generally the names that called out are from the dominent side, other than oh 'saint' has dropped it again.
Dingwall was his usual competent/efficient self. He consistently plays up to a good standard, does most things right, but is rarely outstanding or puts a real stamp on the game. I did think he was outplayed by his opposite number Osborne
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:21 pm
Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:56 am

Fin Smith was certainly targeted but I thought he stood up really well. The kid made 20 tackles and missed 3. More tackles made and missed than anyone else but he was 8 tackles ahead of the nearest back from Saints and only missed tackle ahead of several others. Smith made more tackles than his back three combined and only 3 less than his centres combined. I think he deserves some credit for that shift.

In attack as I said, the narrower ball in hand game plan didn't work and he obviously struggled with that. The aggressive line speed from Leinster saw attackers over run the pressured ball carrier and many dropped passes. Happened to Mitchell, Dingwall and Smith as they tried to distribute. Once they switched to the mixed game off Smith he was pivotal. His main failing was not calling that on himself earlier.

No Ludlam and no Pearson did see Saints lacking bite at the breakdown. Lawes was really fighting a one man battle there.
Smith came back well, but was poor the first 20 both sides of the ball, line speed and intensity had him looking wobbly, ditto Mitchell and the likes of Langdon. They’ll be better for the experience…. But what might have been.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Spiffy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 pm

Dingwall was his usual competent/efficient self. He consistently plays up to a good standard, does most things right, but is rarely outstanding or puts a real stamp on the game. I did think he was outplayed by his opposite number Osborne
Osborne had more and better ball to play with, so there is that. Dingwall did deliver a try scoring pass, and shored up the defence. Against other sides with that possession and territory, and that ref 😂, Leinster would have racked up 40+ imo.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Adam_P wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:53 pm Some of Smiths tackles were pretty physical on players a fair bit bigger than him too - one of them after a dodgy Saints line out which resulted in holding the Leinster player up with Dingwall and winning a turnover
Yep but as said, was shaky early doors and missed a shocker on Osborne. Bounced back very well and as above will be much better for the experience.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Banquo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:07 pm
Spiffy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 pm

Osborne had more and better ball to play with, so there is that. Dingwall did deliver a try scoring pass, and shored up the defence. Against other sides with that possession and territory, and that ref 😂, Leinster would have racked up 40+ imo.
They should have racked up 40 anyway in the first half alone. As discussed above, Byrne is a poor playmaker for Leinster. Switch fly halves and they would have aced it.