16. Fez Mbatha
17. Ntuthuko Mchunu
18. Hanro Jacobs
19. Lappies Labuschagne
20. Dylan Richardson
21. Cameron Wright
22. Curwin Bosch
23. Eduan Keyter

The Glaws tight five is in for a tough test but if they come through it then they've got a decent chance here. I'm interested to see how the two Sebs go in positions of need for England.
Last edited by FKAS on Fri May 24, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivepointer

Re: Gloucester Vs Sharks - t'other European Final

Post by fivepointer »

Agree that the main point of interest is in how the 2 Seb's go, plus Englefield who looks a very accomplished player.

Glos should come into this refreshed. Home crowd. They might rise to the occasion.
Which Tyler

Re: Gloucester Vs Sharks - t'other "European" Final

Post by Which Tyler »

C'mon Gloucester

And mostly posting for my suggested change of the thread title
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:29 pm C'mon Gloucester

And mostly posting for my suggested change of the thread title
"well said"
p/d

Re: Gloucester Vs Sharks - t'other European Final

Post by p/d »

Indeed WT.

Go Glaws!!!
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

On one hand I want Glaws to win as it's the English club in the competition on the other hand I'd rather Tigers were in the big Euro competition next season.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:55 pm On one hand I want Glaws to win as it's the English club in the competition on the other hand I'd rather Tigers were in the big Euro competition next season.
Oh shit, I hadn't realised that was on the line. What a Hobson's choice!

Puja
Backist Monk
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Just found out that the match is being shown on terrestrial French tv. Allez Glaws! ( even if it means Tigers will be in t’other European Cup!)
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Great start by Glaws but they're losing all the collisions now. Time for Mercer to stand up, he's not looked great so far but it's a game that's perfect for him to make a big statement in.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Gloucester were just a bit of a mess. Strong start but unable to convert. Some of that was a symptom of their general play. Just lacking execution. There were time when they had the ball and you could see there was literally no direction on the pitch. Nobody knew what was happening or supposed to happen.

Scrum was obviously an issue as it was always expected to be. Lineout wasn’t much better mind. Englefields box kicking was way too long all night. At no point did they think to change tack.

Once they were behind it was always going to be really tough. They needed to get points in that early pressure. And then start of the second half it’s just simple mistakes putting them under pressure, like Mercer’s blind pass for the intercept on about 44 mins.

Atkinson again showed very nice touches, they just didn’t have the ball much for large periods. In a pretty messed up side he is a silver lining.

Hastings is, erm, the opposite of that!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Does anyone get the Skivington thing? He is so highly hyped as a coach - Gloucester got in trouble poaching him from LIrish and he was the first name on the list for England A - but I don't know exactly what for. People talk him up as this promising young caoch with so much talent, but Glaws have finished second-bottom in 3 of his 4 seasons in charge now. Despite periods of looking like they've cracked it, they've been inconsistent, weak, and haven't looked like they're improving. At some point, you have to start asking whether the men in charge are actually as good as reputed.

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:16 am Gloucester were just a bit of a mess. Strong start but unable to convert. Some of that was a symptom of their general play. Just lacking execution. There were time when they had the ball and you could see there was literally no direction on the pitch. Nobody knew what was happening or supposed to happen.

Scrum was obviously an issue as it was always expected to be. Lineout wasn’t much better mind. Englefields box kicking was way too long all night. At no point did they think to change tack.

Once they were behind it was always going to be really tough. They needed to get points in that early pressure. And then start of the second half it’s just simple mistakes putting them under pressure, like Mercer’s blind pass for the intercept on about 44 mins.

Atkinson again showed very nice touches, they just didn’t have the ball much for large periods. In a pretty messed up side he is a silver lining.

Hastings is, erm, the opposite of that!
In crunch games, the 9/10 presence/influence just seems vital if pressure is to become points. Gloucester had a 9 good from the neck down but with little above it. The 10 was just poor, as you say.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Mercer did a good job of confirming why he's not been selected for international rugby. Against a big physical pack he can't have the kind of influence he regularly has in open premiership games. I like him as a player, but can definitely see why Borthwick isn't selecting him.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Adam_P wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 am Mercer did a good job of confirming why he's not been selected for international rugby. Against a big physical pack he can't have the kind of influence he regularly has in open premiership games. I like him as a player, but can definitely see why Borthwick isn't selecting him.
Agreed. He must have a fair few ahead of him: Earl, Dombrandt, Willis, Fisilau, Barbeary etc.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Adam_P wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 am Mercer did a good job of confirming why he's not been selected for international rugby. Against a big physical pack he can't have the kind of influence he regularly has in open premiership games. I like him as a player, but can definitely see why Borthwick isn't selecting him.
Dunno, it’s hard to make much impact when everyone else is doing little to nothing. He was well marked and the rest of his pack was largely absent. He made a couple of mistakes trying to force things, but otherwise he played pretty well.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:32 am
Dunno, it’s hard to make much impact when everyone else is doing little to nothing. He was well marked and the rest of his pack was largely absent. He made a couple of mistakes trying to force things, but otherwise he played pretty well.
As the 8 who gets the most touches in attack, just make a bit of ground and you're the hero in a faltering attack. See Jasper Weise for context.

Mercer was simply out muscled. Other Glaws forwards stood up, Freddie Clark had a very good game for instance.

Just reinforced my opinion that Mercer is a luxury player. If you can create the space for him to operate then he's brilliant. If you can't then you have to carry him.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:27 am Does anyone get the Skivington thing? He is so highly hyped as a coach - Gloucester got in trouble poaching him from LIrish and he was the first name on the list for England A - but I don't know exactly what for.
I'll be honest - I don't remember seeing any hype for him as a coach.

Weren't Glos in trouble for not asking LI's permission to talk to Skiv, rather than because anyone particularly thought he was exceptional?

Pretty sure he was the only Premiership coach willing to take on England A at that point. Top 8 were concentrating on their mid-season pre-season, Dimes had just arrived at Newcastle.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm
Puja wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:27 am Does anyone get the Skivington thing? He is so highly hyped as a coach - Gloucester got in trouble poaching him from LIrish and he was the first name on the list for England A - but I don't know exactly what for.
I'll be honest - I don't remember seeing any hype for him as a coach.

Weren't Glos in trouble for not asking LI's permission to talk to Skiv, rather than because anyone particularly thought he was exceptional?

Pretty sure he was the only Premiership coach willing to take on England A at that point. Top 8 were concentrating on their mid-season pre-season, Dimes had just arrived at Newcastle.
Sam Vesty coached the backs/attack for England A so there were certainly options available to England.

Skivington has been talked up as a good lineout/forwards coach and comes across well in the media. Perhaps promoted too quickly and without a mentor figure. Glaws have had a lot of injuries and the coaching staff is pretty inexperienced.

George Skivington — Director of Rugby
Dominic Waldouck – Rugby Strategy & Defence Coach
Trevor Woodman – Scrum & Assistant Forwards Coach
James Lightfoot Brown — Attack Coach
Tim Taylor – Skills & Backs Transition Coach
T. Rhys Thomas – Forwards Transition Coach
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

FKAS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:00 pmSam Vesty coached the backs/attack for England A
Sorry, my fault - I meant Head Coach / DoR
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:59 pm
FKAS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:00 pmSam Vesty coached the backs/attack for England A
Sorry, my fault - I meant Head Coach / DoR
Sam Vesty is the Saints head coach. They were in camp for a week. Don't think it makes much difference which of the three roles each person had you'd be away from your club for a week.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I thought Dowson was Saint's HC
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Watching lein v tls now, lots of huff and puff in the first half hoping things open up now as people tire.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

It should go straight to pens.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:52 pm I thought Dowson was Saint's HC
Dowson is DOR and Vesty Head Coach.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Right, so you know what I mean, but are being awkward.
The guys in charge stayed at their club.
Sole exception of the sole guy in charge whose club had nothing to play for (or had only just arrived)