Gloucester Vs Sharks - t'other "European" Final

Moderator: Puja

Epaminondas Pules

Re: Gloucester Vs Sharks - t'other "European" Final

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

FKAS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:05 pm
Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:32 am
Adam_P wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 am Mercer did a good job of confirming why he's not been selected for international rugby. Against a big physical pack he can't have the kind of influence he regularly has in open premiership games. I like him as a player, but can definitely see why Borthwick isn't selecting him.
Dunno, it’s hard to make much impact when everyone else is doing little to nothing. He was well marked and the rest of his pack was largely absent. He made a couple of mistakes trying to force things, but otherwise he played pretty well.
As the 8 who gets the most touches in attack, just make a bit of ground and you're the hero in a faltering attack. See Jasper Weise for context.

Mercer was simply out muscled. Other Glaws forwards stood up, Freddie Clark had a very good game for instance.

Just reinforced my opinion that Mercer is a luxury player. If you can create the space for him to operate then he's brilliant. If you can't then you have to carry him.
Tom Croft Mk II
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:24 pm
Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:32 am

Dunno, it’s hard to make much impact when everyone else is doing little to nothing. He was well marked and the rest of his pack was largely absent. He made a couple of mistakes trying to force things, but otherwise he played pretty well.
As the 8 who gets the most touches in attack, just make a bit of ground and you're the hero in a faltering attack. See Jasper Weise for context.

Mercer was simply out muscled. Other Glaws forwards stood up, Freddie Clark had a very good game for instance.

Just reinforced my opinion that Mercer is a luxury player. If you can create the space for him to operate then he's brilliant. If you can't then you have to carry him.
Tom Croft Mk II
Croft wasn't a luxury though. He was one of the best lineout jumpers in the world at the time and went with the Lions the SA and proved he could mix it physically. It's unfortunately where Mercer suffers, his only differentiator is his carrying and when that's no there, there ain't much else. If he had another string to his bow he might have more chance at getting his shot internationally.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Too easy :D :D
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 pm Too easy :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

twitchy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:54 pm Watching lein v tls now, lots of huff and puff in the first half hoping things open up now as people tire.
I just read that Jack Willis made 41 tackles. If that's accurate, that's insane.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Adam_P wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:03 am
twitchy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:54 pm Watching lein v tls now, lots of huff and puff in the first half hoping things open up now as people tire.
I just read that Jack Willis made 41 tackles. If that's accurate, that's insane.
He made vital tackles on Leinster's breaking centres at crucial times. For him to be a close second best to Dupont as MoM in a match of that standard confirmed my opinion that he is simply our best back rower. We need him.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

FKAS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:14 pm
Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:24 pm

Tom Croft Mk II
Croft wasn't a luxury though. He was one of the best lineout jumpers in the world at the time and went with the Lions the SA and proved he could mix it physically. It's unfortunately where Mercer suffers, his only differentiator is his carrying and when that's no there, there ain't much else. If he had another string to his bow he might have more chance at getting his shot internationally.
This is harsh IMO. As with Dombrandt, both have better work rates than they’re given credit for. Admittedly I’ve seen less of Mercer at Gloucester recently, but when he was at Bath, it often felt like he was carrying the team rather than them carrying him.

You’re right that his ball carrying is his differentiator. However, I think that undersells the other aspects of his game, many of which are well above average. It’s not like he has one super strength and is poor in other respects. I think he suffers when he’s expected to produce the highlight reel moments irrespective of the game or opposition.

I still wouldn’t be picking him for England at this point, but I do feel like he needs a fair write up.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Oakboy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:18 am
He made vital tackles on Leinster's breaking centres at crucial times. For him to be a close second best to Dupont as MoM in a match of that standard confirmed my opinion that he is simply our best back rower. We need him.
I agree in part, although I’m not sure we need him to the extent that I’d be willing to change the whole system for him.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:40 am
Oakboy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:18 am

I agree in part, although I’m not sure we need him to the extent that I’d be willing to change the whole system for him.
Mmmm! I suppose I have to accept that on the grounds that making Farrell available could be worse than having Willis!!! ;) Just as an amusing aside, if SB could just have one overseas player which would HE choose?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Hmm. The guy he picks as captain and calls one of the best players in the world probably. Did he even pick Willis when he was available or was there not much crossover?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:22 am Hmm. The guy he picks as captain and calls one of the best players in the world probably. Did he even pick Willis when he was available or was there not much crossover?
I suppose all HCs have blind spots and pet-picks. Chatting about Jones the other day (far from my favourite subject! :( ), I found myself in a minority (and on the nasty little Australian's side) about one subject - he was right to pick Hartley and stick with him. SB needs a similar feisty scrapper somewhere in the pack, IMO. A deliverer of ball that others wouldn't manage and an 80 minute tackle-merchant, I think Willis would provide that 'dog' from the back row and balance a pacey hooker.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

He definitely picked Willis a few times, but in fairness the landscape was also a little different with Lawes and Curry available and fit for selection.

It may be a controversial opinion but I don’t think Willis is quite as good as either of those at their best. It’s a moot point on Lawes, but if Curry returns in good shape, the ‘need’ for Willis is inevitably less.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Will Evans is fit, available and in incredible form, but I don’t think that is what Borthwick is after for whatever reason.

Underhill has generally played well since the last World Cup game but I’m not sure if that’s Borthwick set on his 7/8 selection for now. Until T Curry returns at least.

A pacey hooker means very little to me unless they’re as secure around the field as George, never mind who is actually going to lead the team/pack.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:11 am He definitely picked Willis a few times, but in fairness the landscape was also a little different with Lawes and Curry available and fit for selection.

It may be a controversial opinion but I don’t think Willis is quite as good as either of those at their best. It’s a moot point on Lawes, but if Curry returns in good shape, the ‘need’ for Willis is inevitably less.
all entirely different players in fairness, each with their own style and USP. Willis offers a turnover ability and tight carrying that Curry can't do; Curry offers a bit more skill and possibly mobility.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Different styles but vying for the same positions at 6 or 7.

If both Curry and Willis were available, I’d be very tempted to try them on tandem, but if it was a straight choice, Curry’s experience and effectiveness at test level is hard to argue with.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:54 pm Different styles but vying for the same positions at 6 or 7.

If both Curry and Willis were available, I’d be very tempted to try them on tandem, but if it was a straight choice, Curry’s experience and effectiveness at test level is hard to argue with.
again. depends on what you want, as they are so different. As you say, they'd actually complement each other, and obviously Curry's effectiveness is currently an unknown.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:36 am
Scrumhead wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:54 pm Different styles but vying for the same positions at 6 or 7.

again. depends on what you want, as they are so different. As you say, they'd actually complement each other, and obviously Curry's effectiveness is currently an unknown.
I certainly hope that Curry recovers fully from long-term injury but there must be some doubt. He is too good a player, at his best, to risk rushing back. If he makes it, say for the AIs, I'd argue a case for him, the two Willises and Earl being the best four for a 23 in ideal availability circumstances. Obviously, there are others with good cases and I'd not be at all surprised if that 'best four' never get the shirts. England, over the years, seems fated that way.