Bexsero

J Dory

Bexsero

Post by J Dory »

Looks just enough like best sex to get a few hit's I'm thinking. Unfortunately, it's much less interesting, a new(ish) vaccine offered here in Canada to prevent meningitis. Our pediatrician is asking us if we want to give it to our 7 year old twins. I'm not an anti-vaccine type, but am also someone cautious about "new" medical stuff, especially about experimenting with it on my kids. Seems it's been approved in Europe for a few years now.

Any, medical/biology types on here have an opinion on this one? Any parents already vaccinated their kids, if so, did they survive? Do they have a third foot growing from their foreheads? Any other nasty side effects?
BBD
Site Admin

Re: Bexsero

Post by BBD »

Side effects? My two have grown up with a tendency to call me a bollix

Injury lawyers 4 U are on my speed dial already
Big D

Post by Big D »

Not sure what the name of the vaccines here are, I think it is Bexsero. It is relatively new. We've just paid for our 3 year old to get his Meningitis B jags. Our youngest gets them for free as part of the normal kid vaccination jags but our 3 year old was in an age group where they aren't giving them for free. £95 each for 2 jags.

From what I read, just googled it, it all seems ok. We had a scare with my 3 year old when he was younger where the docs thought he had meningitis, the sound of him screaming as they did a lumbar puncture to try and find out what was wrong with him still haunts me.
morepork

Post by morepork »

JD, it was approved in the USandA last year I think. It has proven effective against (some) meningitis in quite a few countries. Clinical trials with over 5000 people worldwide have shown it is safe.

How big a risk is meningitis in your slum?
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Risk is pretty low from what I can gather, .6 in 100k in 2011 (latest stats I can find for Canada).

Thing is, if the vaccine is safe, then it's a no brainer, it's just it being so new that somewhat fuels my angst.
morepork

Post by morepork »

It seems pretty safe. Just do a bit of digging about age....7 might be a bit young. But then again, it might not be.