England U20s into the world cup final

WaspInWales

England U20s into the world cup final

Post by WaspInWales »

Well, well, well...

They will be facing Venezuela in the final. Anyway know anything about them at this level?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Galfon

Re: England U20s into the world cup final

Post by Galfon »

First time ever..blimey.
Not much prem. experience, maybe the St. George's Park thing is beginning to deliver fruit.
Ex City player Paul Simpson..seems well grounded despite a record of getting sacked quite alot from
lower league clubs.I think he has some credentials at Youth coaching with England and working with Steve McLaren.
To reach the final his team must be playing in a non-England way, with skill, intelligence and a competitive edge ( only guessing).
He's certainly done well to squeeze 4 hyphens in his starting 11 - must be a record.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Get in!

England are U20 world champions.

Calvert-Lewin scores the only goal and Freddie Woodman saved a penalty.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:Get in!

England are U20 world champions.

Calvert-Lewin scores the only goal and Freddie Woodman saved a penalty.
Southgate makes a prescient point that you don't have to scour the world or buy in all you talent...
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I watched the italy game, a talented bunch of lads well done to them.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Well done to all..this lot didn't need to worry about excuses.
(It's taken 27 years to get a chance to play New Order's 'World in Motion' in glory..the youtube links dinnae work here for me.. :x )
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

In the u21's germany managed by Stefan Kuntz and England managed by Gareth Southgate are playing today so people are thinking back to euro 96. Kuntz has a great anecdote:

Perhaps understandably, Kuntz became something of a folk hero in England and in his homeland after his exploits at Wembley, with the reprisal of David Baddiel and Frank Skinner’s tournament anthem Three Lions before the World Cup two years later featuring the two comedians playing against a team of Germans all wearing shirts bearing his name.

My mum asked me: ‘Why?’ I think it was one of the only situations that I lied to her,” he remembered after Germany’s 1-0 defeat by Italy on Saturday which set up the last-four showdown in Tychy. “Of course, I couldn’t tell her that Kuntz in German is ‘Kuntz’ but what it means in English! So I said: ‘Hey Mum, that’s because I scored the goal, I think!’ So don’t tell my Mum, please.”
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:In the u21's germany managed by Stefan Kuntz and England managed by Gareth Southgate are playing today so people are thinking back to euro 96. Kuntz has a great anecdote:

Perhaps understandably, Kuntz became something of a folk hero in England and in his homeland after his exploits at Wembley, with the reprisal of David Baddiel and Frank Skinner’s tournament anthem Three Lions before the World Cup two years later featuring the two comedians playing against a team of Germans all wearing shirts bearing his name.

My mum asked me: ‘Why?’ I think it was one of the only situations that I lied to her,” he remembered after Germany’s 1-0 defeat by Italy on Saturday which set up the last-four showdown in Tychy. “Of course, I couldn’t tell her that Kuntz in German is ‘Kuntz’ but what it means in English! So I said: ‘Hey Mum, that’s because I scored the goal, I think!’ So don’t tell my Mum, please.”
:lol: :lol:
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Well who could have predicted that eh? England lose on pens.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Well, at least one set of fans are singing Three Lions.

Decent effort by England. Hopefully, the recent age grade success is a sign that things are improving.
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

that depends upon how many of these youngsters can actually get into the first teams of the premiership clubs, my guess is not too many
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

BBD wrote:that depends upon how many of these youngsters can actually get into the first teams of the premiership clubs, my guess is not too many
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... nt-england