COVID19

Mellsblue

Re: COVID19

Post by Mellsblue »

Blimey. This is quite the thread. I was hoping it was an unreliable account but it’s followers look suitably qualified.

morepork

Post by morepork »

Jaysus. You really want to nail your colours to a mast backed by cheesy pop music? Who is qualified in this anecdotal wank-fest?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

As stated, I had a look through the poster’s followers and there’s plenty of people with the correct qualifications, or at least what they purport to be. It was also retweeted by someone who advised the UK govt. during the pandemic. Finally, it’s China, a totalitarian state, who run concentration camps, re-educate ethnic minorities and are widely reported to use very stringent lockdowns enforced by the military. It’s not that much of a stretch to believe what those videos show what is actually happening.
morepork

Post by morepork »

It's still a social media post. With cheesy production values. May be accurate, may not be, and we will never know on the strength of that alone.

What are the qualifications, BTW?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/05/chin ... index.html

Travel bans in China are making the news.

Looking at that video I don't think you need to have a PHD in biology to recognise that armed personnel in those outfits aren't there for shits and giggles. If thats recent then it would suggest that China is still taking its lockdown policy seriously for zero covid.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

morepork wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:53 pm It's still a social media post. With cheesy production values. May be accurate, may not be, and we will never know on the strength of that alone.

What are the qualifications, BTW?
Feel free to look into the quals, the info is on the site.
morepork

Post by morepork »

I wonder how effective the vaccines China used/uses have actually been? I know some countries that have been using them (Thailand, Malaysia, etc) have had mixed efficacy results in the face of new COVID variants. I'd say they are dealing rolling outbreaks.

I deal with a couple of China-based biotechs from time to time and apart from some quarantine requirements, travel in and out has been and is going on. That is not to say that the unwashed public isn't getting shafted harder. Point is taken regarding ethnic minorities.

No way I'm getting lost on Twatter passive-aggressive boy.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Plunging post lockdown attendance rates in free school meal pupils:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpoli ... 4604e007a8
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

morepork

Post by morepork »

I'm starting to think these updates from you are not really about the biology of COVID.....
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

They most definitely aren’t.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Fair enough.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

They must have seen this coming, given how thngs have moved on elsewhere.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63771109
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... to-isolate
Travellers from China who test positive in UK for Covid will not need to isolate

Transport secretary says infection data collected at airport ‘for surveillance purposes’

People arriving in the UK from China will not be required to self-isolate if they test positive for Covid-19, the transport secretary has said.

Covid cases in China continue to surge after Beijing’s abrupt decision to end most of its severe pandemic restrictions.
Just what our health service needs right now!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Oh look. Controlled clinical trials lead to a drug that is effective against a known pathogen. What a surprise. That's not what my social media angry search algorithm told me to expect. Let's make a podcast and flog colloidal silver.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm Oh look. Controlled clinical trials lead to a drug that is effective against a known pathogen. What a surprise. That's not what my social media angry search algorithm told me to expect. Let's make a podcast and flog colloidal silver.
On a related tangent, have you come across the conspiracy theory about "15 minute cities" yet? I heard about it today and it's absolutely wild - people are raving and spewing hate about a sociological idea that a city should be laid out so that every house has certain amenities within a 15 minute walk or cycle, to reduce driving and create a more people-centric city, because they've managed to convince themselves that this is the first part of a plan where we're all going to be locked inside our 15 minute zones because the government's looking to corral and separate us for... some reason.

Just utterly bizarre.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Climate is the next front on the Crazy War. Any government supported, or mandated, strategies to mitigate more frequent severe weather events and droughts and fires and shit will be violently opposed as some affront to personal freedom. It's a self-perpetuating clusterfuck of epic proportions and we are pretty much going to get rogered hard by it.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 pm
morepork wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm Oh look. Controlled clinical trials lead to a drug that is effective against a known pathogen. What a surprise. That's not what my social media angry search algorithm told me to expect. Let's make a podcast and flog colloidal silver.
On a related tangent, have you come across the conspiracy theory about "15 minute cities" yet? I heard about it today and it's absolutely wild - people are raving and spewing hate about a sociological idea that a city should be laid out so that every house has certain amenities within a 15 minute walk or cycle, to reduce driving and create a more people-centric city, because they've managed to convince themselves that this is the first part of a plan where we're all going to be locked inside our 15 minute zones because the government's looking to corral and separate us for... some reason.

Just utterly bizarre.

Puja
Bit like King Charles’ eco towns. Sadly to retrofit into a city would be very expensive and to us not likely to happen but no reason why we shouldn’t be doing this for new towns and other developments.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

No wonder Sunak wants maths taught at school for longer, if he was party to these discussions.
Not to mention that he's trying to fight his actual science advisors with a misquote from the financial times.
ETA: and well done Dom Cummings for putting on his idiot-explaining pants, to actually explain things in (hopefully) Boris-friendly bites.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Science. It's real bitches.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Which Tyler wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:52 pm
Boris Johnson lied? That's the exact opposite of unheard of!
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar