Americanisation of British Politics

Zhivago

Americanisation of British Politics

Post by Zhivago »

First we had the introduction of televised debates, now we have Downing Street's new 'White-house style' press briefing room.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... efing-room

From a taste point of view - it's hideous in my opinion, why not keep nice wood paneling? Probably the blue is so they can create an association between the nation and the conservative party. Would have liked to see all flags of the UK there also instead of 4 union flags.

Boris 'Born in the USA' Johnson is really ruining this once great country. yada yada.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Digby

Re: Americanisation of British Politics

Post by Digby »

Zhivago wrote:
Boris 'Born in the USA' Johnson is really ruining this once great country. yada yada.
When was it great? Why isn't it better than that now?
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Digby wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
#sarcasm. yada yada

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Digby

Post by Digby »

Zhivago wrote:
Digby wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
#sarcasm. yada yada
It's your observation he's ruining a once great country, so no it's not sarcasm, or at least not s specifically intended one, what's your point of comparison or was it just a vacuous aside?
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Digby wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Digby wrote:
#sarcasm. yada yada
It's your observation he's ruining a once great country, so no it's not sarcasm, or at least not s specifically intended one, what's your point of comparison or was it just a vacuous aside?
I used it for ironic effect, if you can't understand that, I don't care.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Puja

Post by Puja »

I wouldn't actually mind American-style politics *if* we had an American system. As things stand, we've got a British system where you are supposed to vote for your local MP to represent your local area and then those MPs conclave in Parliament and select one from their number to be Prime Minister and vote on every issue based on their local area and their own beliefs, and we've then overlaid Yankee voting for a leader of the country and decisions all on party line.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Zhivago wrote:
Digby wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
#sarcasm. yada yada
More Americanisation?

Or should that be Americanization?
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Digby wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Digby wrote:
More Americanisation?

Or should that be Americanization?
I could care less [sic]
Last edited by Zhivago on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

morepork

Post by morepork »

Stop doing English wrong.
Digby

Post by Digby »

It worked for Hemingway
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Puja wrote:I wouldn't actually mind American-style politics *if* we had an American system. As things stand, we've got a British system where you are supposed to vote for your local MP to represent your local area and then those MPs conclave in Parliament and select one from their number to be Prime Minister and vote on every issue based on their local area and their own beliefs, and we've then overlaid Yankee voting for a leader of the country and decisions all on party line.

Puja

i agree, altho i'd say it's gone even further and people vote for or agin personalities as much as party line
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:I wouldn't actually mind American-style politics *if* we had an American system. As things stand, we've got a British system where you are supposed to vote for your local MP to represent your local area and then those MPs conclave in Parliament and select one from their number to be Prime Minister and vote on every issue based on their local area and their own beliefs, and we've then overlaid Yankee voting for a leader of the country and decisions all on party line.

Puja
Yup. Our system is set up on the basis of local people voting for a local representative. The media and politicians treat it as a presidential race though. I completely understand why as its perfectly logical to decide to vote on who you want to run the country, even if at a local level individual candidates may have different attributes. This logic has applied for a long time and unless we become a republic with a president who hold executive power of their own, then the only way to make that less of a logic jump is to remove local constituencies and go for some kind of party list system based on share of vote. I'm actually in favour of keeping local links for MPs though
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote:

Puja
Yup. Our system is set up on the basis of local people voting for a local representative. The media and politicians treat it as a presidential race though. I completely understand why as its perfectly logical to decide to vote on who you want to run the country, even if at a local level individual candidates may have different attributes. This logic has applied for a long time and unless we become a republic with a president who hold executive power of their own, then the only way to make that less of a logic jump is to remove local constituencies and go for some kind of party list system based on share of vote. I'm actually in favour of keeping local links for MPs though
We don't have to get rid of constituences and local MPs. We could use MMP or something similar, like New Zealand. Proportional AND with local MPs.
Digby

Post by Digby »

We could. I'd like it, but I still can't see what might even start to drive such change. There are people lobbying for it, but not only does the government take no hit for ignoring the sort of person asking for change they probably even gain from it
Puja

Post by Puja »

Hooray! Voter suppression through photo ID laws. The problem with electoral fraud that we don't have is finally getting solved!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 1620627080

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Racism and a general mistrust of democracy for the win
morepork

Post by morepork »

That is some fuckin bullshit right there. Has this been an issue that has been publicly aired/debated or has has it been slipped in while everyone was asleep?
Son of Mathonwy

I'd like to think this obvious voter suppression would give them trouble sleeping but they would need a conscience for that. Something they either had beaten out of them in public school or never developed in the first place.
Son of Mathonwy

What's next on the list? Purging the electoral register? Reducing the number of polling stations in poor areas? Handing the counts over to private firms owned by Tory doners?

I'd like to think this would be going too far, even for this lot, but they'll do anything they can get away with.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

trust you also read that the Tories are gonna change the mayoral elections to FPTP because they're losing to Labour too much

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Zhivago wrote:trust you also read that the Tories are gonna change the mayoral elections to FPTP because they're losing to Labour too much
They'd scrap the London mayor completely if they didn't think they had a shot at winning it one day.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lol. That’s the trick isn’t it. Surely they’ll never start just being overtly evil.

I’ve fucking given up.
Puja

Post by Puja »

There is now a parliament petition and the government have shown that they'll spin on a sixpence if they think public outrage is against them. Someone call Marcus Rashford. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/576024

The thing that's annoying about it is that it's such a specious issue. The initial response when presented to someone is, "What's wrong with stopping voter fraud? Surely everyone should be in favour of that," and it requires them to be interested enough to listen to the explanation that voter fraud doesn't actually exist and that this is creating a big problem to solve a non-existent one for them to move from that.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

So this was pulled out of someone's arse and deemed high priority, because why?
Digby

Post by Digby »

I would suggest everyone do the same as me, make sure you get your money's worth of their time if they start asking for ID.

Polling stations having to stay open 6 days to handle this wonderful initiative seems the way to go