Re: The future's bright, so give us a Kiss

Post by mcshinnertheligind »

Larmour has a bright future ahead of him
Wibble
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

he has pace, a step of both feet and a name with comedic potential, the lad will go far
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Do I detect the faintest whiff of schadenfreude?
Idle Feck
mcshinnertheligind

Well he's no Dempsey
Wibble
SerjeantWildgoose

There are shades of Anto.
Idle Feck
cashead

Post by cashead »

So any ideas on whom Ulster will be going after? I just noticed an article on the Beeb about them looking to nab Stephen Donald or Quade Cooper.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

mcshinnertheligind wrote:Well he's no Dempsey
Dempsey is one of the most underrated players in the history of Irish rugby. 82 caps, 19 tries, fourth on the try-scoring list, a rock under the high ball, a great defender and pacy. I'd have him well ahead of Kearney as an international FB any day.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

cashead wrote:So any ideas on whom Ulster will be going after? I just noticed an article on the Beeb about them looking to nab Stephen Donald or Quade Cooper.
The money seems to be on Matt Giteau (35). I wouldn't bother with any of them. Yesterday's men. Would rather stick with former Ireland U20s Jonny McPhillips and give him some significant game time starting right now.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Here's my hot take on them as a Southern Hemispherean, which makes me an unimpeachable expert on all three:

1. Stephen Donald - would be a fairly good buy. He did have a tendency to get the yips at the test level, but he's a proven performer at Super Rugby and NPC level. He can have some serious clangers, but on the balance of things, he won't let you down. He has some captaincy experience, which gives the added bonus of a leader. At 34 though, he will likely need to be carefully managed, and don't expect him to go a full 80. He's generally well-regarded, and is well-liked. If you want a 10 to mentor someone coming up through the system for the next 2 or 3 seasons, he's your man.

2. Quade Cooper - as the lad that is >30, and with a Super Rugby medal with his name on it, he would seem like a good buy, but he is noted for a lack of defensive ability, which requires him to be hidden out on the wing while on defence, and a lack of big match temperament. He can do some amazing things on attack, but he needs to string some good performances together - i.e., he's pretty much a confidence player. He has a history of being a trouble-maker (as part of the so-called Three Amigos with James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale), but when separated from more toxic personalities, tends to generally behave himself. He generally seems quite low on form and confidence, but may improve in a new environment, with plenty of positive reinforcement.

3. Matt Giteau - you're going to get more out of him as a 12 than a 10, but looking at the squad listing on the Ulster Rugby wikipedia page, it looks like they're pretty well-stocked on test-level midfielders. He is absolutely a talented player, but as you said, he could be yesterday's man, and he never has been a consistently convincing 10 either.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
SerjeantWildgoose

Here's my take.

Munster have Ian Keatley, JJ and Bill Johnson fit, with Tyler Blyendal to come back. All are Irish qualified. How is Nucifora going to allow Ulster to bring in a SH has-been (Frankly none of them are up to the mark to carry off a whole season in the 10 jersey for Ulster) when there are IQ stand-offs in Ireland that aren't getting game time?

I know he had a mare up in Belfast on New Years Day, but I can see JJ heading north long before any of those 3.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Spiffy wrote:
Dempsey is one of the most underrated players in the history of Irish rugby. 82 caps, 19 tries, fourth on the try-scoring list, a rock under the high ball, a great defender and pacy. I'd have him well ahead of Kearney as an international FB any day.
Ah those rose-tinted spectacles of nostalgia for the heady days when we were racking up the triple crowns. Girve was something special on his day, but he had his share of fairly crap outings. I'd put him and Kearney pretty much on a par and if pushed would have Rob slightly ahead - his selection for 2 Lions tours vs Girvans 0 would suggest that I am in good company.

Girve's strike rate of slightly less than a try every 4 caps is better than Rob's and about equal to Geordan Murphy's, which is remarkable given that their international careers virtually ran hand in hand and coincided with 6 of the other 10 top Irish try scorers (BOD, Hickie, Tommy, Shaggy, Trimble and ROG)! They would appear to have been part of a golden era in which Ireland was a try-scoring factory.

It might not be much, but I would say that had it not been for Rob Kearney on that day in Chicago, Ireland would not have beaten the All Blacks. I can't think of a game - even Twickenham in 2004, where despite him scoring the try - you could say the same of Girve.
Idle Feck
cashead

Post by cashead »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:Here's my take.

Munster have Ian Keatley, JJ and Bill Johnson fit, with Tyler Blyendal to come back. All are Irish qualified. How is Nucifora going to allow Ulster to bring in a SH has-been (Frankly none of them are up to the mark to carry off a whole season in the 10 jersey for Ulster) when there are IQ stand-offs in Ireland that aren't getting game time?

I know he had a mare up in Belfast on New Years Day, but I can see JJ heading north long before any of those 3.
Is it a given though, that these lads would want to up sticks and dash off to Belfast?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

if they like a curry chip it is a certainty
SerjeantWildgoose

I think the IRFU are starting to take more seriously the spreading of the talent pool. Cooney's move has proven successful for the province and for Cooney, who is now making a credible shout to get the bench spot ahead of Marmion and McGrath. Jordi Murphy is heading north next season and if you look at Munster's senior squad there are nearly as many products of the Leinster academy in there as our own.

I think the promise of a regular start is what drives these lads and what with the electric and Tarmac, most of them can be home from Belfast in under 3 days.
Last edited by SerjeantWildgoose on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

BBD wrote:if they like a curry chip it is a certainty
I think JJ's blood group is curry chip.
Idle Feck
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
Spiffy wrote:
Ah those rose-tinted spectacles of nostalgia for the heady days when we were racking up the triple crowns. Girve was something special on his day, but he had his share of fairly crap outings. I'd put him and Kearney pretty much on a par and if pushed would have Rob slightly ahead - his selection for 2 Lions tours vs Girvans 0 would suggest that I am in good company.

Girve's strike rate of slightly less than a try every 4 caps is better than Rob's and about equal to Geordan Murphy's, which is remarkable given that their international careers virtually ran hand in hand and coincided with 6 of the other 10 top Irish try scorers (BOD, Hickie, Tommy, Shaggy, Trimble and ROG)! They would appear to have been part of a golden era in which Ireland was a try-scoring factory.

It might not be much, but I would say that had it not been for Rob Kearney on that day in Chicago, Ireland would not have beaten the All Blacks. I can't think of a game - even Twickenham in 2004, where despite him scoring the try - you could say the same of Girve.
Eh??? A dyed-in-the-wool traditional Tornip defending an overrated, useless and past-it D4 Jackeen.
WTF is leaching into the the bog water these days?
As for Chicago - mandear,sure didn't the boul Bobbert himself miss two tackles entirely that led to AB tries.
But he looks tough, mind, especially when he's not had a shave.
mcshinnertheligind

Tommy to retire at end of season.
Wibble
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Guilty or innocent its a pretty awful situation all round
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Good win tonight

5 points to nil against the side above you cant be bad, even though it was closer in reality than the scoreboard suggests
SerjeantWildgoose

Only watched the first half, in which the opposite was true, with the scoreboard failing to reflect Ulster's dominance. Stockdale's chin is a class apart.

Rory gave away a few daft penalties, although I struggled to see exactly what it was Nige was pinging him for even with the benefit of the replays. He also chucked in a few dodgy bungs to the line. McCloskey seemed out of sorts and the half backs were having a bit of a mixed bag.

On the positive side, Cave celebrated becoming Ulsters 3rd highest capped player by having a cracker, Piutau had another good game (They're going to miss him; and fuck the English clubs and their bottomless pockets) as did Henderson and Deysel - and O'Toole had an excellent senior debut.

While mathematically do-able, I can't see Ulster making up the 8-point gap on Edinburgh for the play-offs even with the game in hand. Edinburgh host Scarlets the week before their Champions Cup semi-final and Glasgow on the last weekend. One win probably gets them Champions Cup rugby next season and into the play-offs.

Ulster have Ospreys and Glasgow at home and a trip to Limerick to finish off the regular season - they will probably need to win all three (Two bonus point wins and a draw might be enough). I think Ospreys have left themselves too much to do but are finishing strongly and knocked the snot out of Connacht last night. They will not be easy to beat next weekend. Glasgow are way ahead of the field but they know how to win this thing and I can't see them taking their foot off the pedal, though they may feel less strongly about the rest of the chasing pack from Pool 2 than they do about their Jockistani rivals. By the time Ulster get to Thomond Park, we will be either hacked off to feck for losing in Bordeaux or focused on a European final and playing with our tails up - either way it is likely to be in front of a packed and vocal 16th man.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

So the maths say that Ulster need to win in Limerick and Embra lose at home to the Weege for Ulster to qualify by right. I think it more probable they’ll host Hairspreys in the play off but ye never know. Failing to qualify for champions cup rugby would put the cow-pat-cap on a shitty year.

I almost feel sorry for the hoores, but then I remember Spiff is one of ‘em.
Idle Feck
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:So the maths say that Ulster need to win in Limerick and Embra lose at home to the Weege for Ulster to qualify by right. I think it more probable they’ll host Hairspreys in the play off but ye never know. Failing to qualify for champions cup rugby would put the cow-pat-cap on a shitty year.

I almost feel sorry for the hoores, but then I remember Spiff is one of ‘em.
I do hope the Tornips will look deeply into their souls, have the good grace to do the only right and honourable thing here, and throw this game for the sake of Irish rugby. You know we would do the same for them. United we stand!
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Yeah, cos we are known far and wide for doing favours for that bunch of heathens