Good TV Shows

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Watched Ozark to the end. Highly recommended, high quality show, with some common themes with Breaking Bad. It's not as good as BB of course - it's not as original, or funny and the characters lack charm - but it's better than most.
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It’s got more to offer than just being blue and crimey? I loved the first series but it lost me not long in to the second.

Might have just been Peter Mullan pretending to be southern that threw me off.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:00 pm It’s got more to offer than just being blue and crimey? I loved the first series but it lost me not long in to the second.

Might have just been Peter Mullan pretending to be southern that threw me off.
For me it didn't get better or worse after the first season - the plot just moved on. The extreme risk of the Byrdes' position was generally maintained (even if you had to accept a bit of implausibility from time to time).
Son of Mathonwy

I'm enjoying You. Just finished season 1 - it's like Dexter rewritten as a romcom. I realise that description may not seem like a great recommendation but the show has some charm.
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm I'm enjoying You. Just finished season 1 - it's like Dexter rewritten as a romcom. I realise that description may not seem like a great recommendation but the show has some charm.
Up to date with You, that is to the end of season 4 and it's still good viewing. Big changes of scene (almost too much for season 4) but I applaud a show that isn't resting on its laurels.
Son of Mathonwy

Adaptations of zombie video games couldn't be more different than these two:

The Last of Us is high-quality, grimly serious stuff. Not much originality - it plays as The Walking Dead meets The Road (albeit not quite as depressing) - but the relationship between the leads carries the show.
► Show Spoiler

Resident Evil is much dumber, but what it loses in quality it makes up for in quantity. There's so much going on, so many twists in the split-timeline story that it's an enjoyable ride, even if you have to switch your brain off occasionally.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:04 am Adaptations of zombie video games couldn't be more different than these two:

The Last of Us is high-quality, grimly serious stuff. Not much originality - it plays as The Walking Dead meets The Road (albeit not quite as depressing) - but the relationship between the leads carries the show.
► Show Spoiler

Resident Evil is much dumber, but what it loses in quality it makes up for in quantity. There's so much going on, so many twists in the split-timeline story that it's an enjoyable ride, even if you have to switch your brain off occasionally.
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I watched Beef last night, 10 episodes around 30 mins long, it's very good entertainment, on Netflix.

I've also seen The Last of Us and found it good, I'm not bothered by Resident Evil so won't be watching that.

I also watched Letterkenny on ITVX, a Canadian comedy, it's daft but quite funny at times.

Blue Lights is a very good crime drama if you like that sort of thing, all episodes available on iPlayer.

I also watched Outlast a reality survival show set in Alaska, it was ok but some of the people in it will most likely make your blood boil.
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:12 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:04 am Adaptations of zombie video games couldn't be more different than these two:

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
Puja
► Show Spoiler
... nonetheless, a good show!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

► Show Spoiler
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:07 pm

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
Puja
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:33 pm
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:04 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:07 pm
► Show Spoiler
Puja
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:33 pm
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Yeah, I love it when a show takes an unexpected detour away from the main characters.
Son of Mathonwy

Finished the 4th and final season of Servant. It's worth watching if you liked The Omen or Rosemary's Baby and/or M. Night Shyamalan. Its best feature is the unrelenting creepy atmosphere. On the negative side, there's only really enough plot for one season and after 4 seasons I would have appreciated a less ambiguous final explanation. The complete lack of sympathetic characters is an interesting choice.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:30 pm I watched Beef last night, 10 episodes around 30 mins long, it's very good entertainment, on Netflix.

I've also seen The Last of Us and found it good, I'm not bothered by Resident Evil so won't be watching that.

I also watched Letterkenny on ITVX, a Canadian comedy, it's daft but quite funny at times.

Blue Lights is a very good crime drama if you like that sort of thing, all episodes available on iPlayer.

I also watched Outlast a reality survival show set in Alaska, it was ok but some of the people in it will most likely make your blood boil.
Thanks for the tip on Beef, I really enjoyed that. Serious and funny.
Son of Mathonwy

WandaVision is worth watching, particularly for the strangeness of the early episodes. It lets itself down by the end but is certainly an unusual offering from Marvel.
► Show Spoiler
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Greg Davies in The Cleaner

The latest Inside No 9 episode

Barry

All great
Son of Mathonwy

Donny osmond wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:29 pm Greg Davies in The Cleaner

Barry

All great
Was that the game show episode of Inside No. 9? Looks like they still have interesting ideas even in the last season of the show.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:49 pm

Barry

All great
Was that the game show episode of Inside No. 9? Looks like they still have interesting ideas even in the last season of the show.
It was yes. I'd seen some headlines saying record number of complaints about a Lee Mack game show, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Did people really think it was a game show? It seems obvious that it wasn't even before the ending. Very very funny.
Son of Mathonwy

Donny osmond wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 pm

Barry

All great
It was yes. I'd seen some headlines saying record number of complaints about a Lee Mack game show, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Did people really think it was a game show? It seems obvious that it wasn't even before the ending. Very very funny.
I did wonder how many grannies had heart attacks when
► Show Spoiler
on that nice Lee Mack's new show.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:49 pm
Donny osmond wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 pm
I did wonder how many grannies had heart attacks when
► Show Spoiler
on that nice Lee Mack's new show.
I loved that it was an inside no 9 episode without featuring either of the actors that would be associated with that, which I guess is why people apparently got suckered into thinking it was something else. Like you say, they are still coming out with interesting stuff, even after all this time. It's hard to be truly original but these guys are.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Ted Lasso is great.
Son of Mathonwy

I've really been enjoying From. It starts off as the best Stephen King story not written by Stephen King. Then as the story progresses I thought it was in danger of getting bogged down in Lost territory but it avoids the worst excesses of that sprawling mess. An an ongoing fantasy horror it's very good.
Son of Mathonwy

Silo is worth watching if you're into dystopian SciFi. It's a pretty straight adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo series (of which I've only read the first, Wool).

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
Still pretty good though.
monkey

Post by monkey »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:09 pm Silo is worth watching if you're into dystopian SciFi. It's a pretty straight adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo series (of which I've only read the first, Wool).

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, I’ve enjoyed it too.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:09 pm Silo is worth watching if you're into dystopian SciFi. It's a pretty straight adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo series (of which I've only read the first, Wool).

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
The books series is weird, because they have Wool, which is a fairly straightforward standalone story, but then it's followed up by Shift, which is a huge glob of backstory, exposition, flashbacks, character depth, plus some side stuff that isn't necessary at all. That makes the second book exceptionally hard work to read - feels more like a collection of short stories than anything with a plot - but the third book, Dust, draws upon all the stuff established in Book 2 and uses it really well.

I wonder if the padding out is them trying to incorporate the lore and the backstory from Book 2 into the show in a more natural way - so they cover books 1 and 2 in two series, but all mixed together instead of the good first and difficult second.

Puja
Backist Monk