Good TV Shows

Sandydragon

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:09 pm Silo is worth watching if you're into dystopian SciFi. It's a pretty straight adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo series (of which I've only read the first, Wool).

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
Still pretty good though.
I quite enjoyed that as well. Thought it started well but tailed off a little mid series before finishing really well. Looking forward to series two whenever that’s released.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Numbers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:30 pm I watched Beef last night, 10 episodes around 30 mins long, it's very good entertainment, on Netflix.

I've also seen The Last of Us and found it good, I'm not bothered by Resident Evil so won't be watching that.

I also watched Letterkenny on ITVX, a Canadian comedy, it's daft but quite funny at times.

Blue Lights is a very good crime drama if you like that sort of thing, all episodes available on iPlayer.

I also watched Outlast a reality survival show set in Alaska, it was ok but some of the people in it will most likely make your blood boil.
Blue lights is superb.

Started watching the Last of Us but the wife didn’t enjoy it. It’s one of those I’ll be returning to when I’m on my travels.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:09 pm Silo is worth watching if you're into dystopian SciFi. It's a pretty straight adaptation of Hugh Howey's Silo series (of which I've only read the first, Wool).

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
The books series is weird, because they have Wool, which is a fairly straightforward standalone story, but then it's followed up by Shift, which is a huge glob of backstory, exposition, flashbacks, character depth, plus some side stuff that isn't necessary at all. That makes the second book exceptionally hard work to read - feels more like a collection of short stories than anything with a plot - but the third book, Dust, draws upon all the stuff established in Book 2 and uses it really well.

I wonder if the padding out is them trying to incorporate the lore and the backstory from Book 2 into the show in a more natural way - so they cover books 1 and 2 in two series, but all mixed together instead of the good first and difficult second.

Puja
Yeah, that's why I haven't read further than Wool - I couldn't face a big book that was 100% backstory. Hopefully they manage to get that backstory into the show in a more palatable way.

I think (at this speed) it'll take them another 10 episodes just to cover the rest of Wool though - just took a look at it, we're not quite halfway through yet.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:11 pm

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
I quite enjoyed that as well. Thought it started well but tailed off a little mid series before finishing really well. Looking forward to series two whenever that’s released.
Yeah, it's nicely handled and acted. And we should be grateful they didn't turn it into yet another young adult adventure - I'm sure they were tempted. Maybe they saw The 100 and thought just no.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 pm

Unwisely ....
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, it's nicely handled and acted. And we should be grateful they didn't turn it into yet another young adult adventure - I'm sure they were tempted. Maybe they saw The 100 and thought just no.
Or Allegiant and the other films in that series which are just utter crap
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:06 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 pm
Or Allegiant and the other films in that series which are just utter crap
In some parallel universe they tried to turn Game of Thrones into a YA series. I don't want to think about it.

The Hunger Games films are fine but nothing's better simply for being YA. Unless you enjoy clueless, excitable heroes.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Not worth a thread of its own, and this seems the most appropriate place

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ef-chatgpt
‘It was as if my father were actually texting me’: grief in the age of AI
People are turning to chatbot impersonations of lost loved ones to help them grieve. Will AI help us live after we’re dead?

Has Black Mirror taught us nothing?
They did literally this episode in the second series!

Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:18 pm Foundation is very good. It looks great and the storyline is quite unusual. The plot is not without some highly unlikely occurrences but the mature tone (presumably due to the source material) makes this well worth watching.
Just as the 2nd season is starting up I thought I'd revisit this.

Since watching season 1 I read the first 4 Foundation books.

They are awful, awful, awful. Awful. Awful characters, unexciting stories, not even a great idea. Not even good science. Asimov gives up on any attempt at scientific realism halfway through book 2 and the books are about psychic powers from then on. Jesus. These books give SF a bad name. If this was the only SF I'd read I'd look down on the genre too. And it's supposed to be a classic.

In light of this I'm more impressed with the show, since they've had to invent (or steal from other SF . . . which is less impressive I guess) most of the plot and characterisations. Particularly, everything about the emperor is new (and good . . . more like Dune than anything in Foundation). Not quite so sure about the revolutionary activity on the fringe worlds but it's also new. I reckon Foundation was considered unfilmable because the books are so bad. The show sidesteps that by ignoring the books after the first episode.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The Bear series 2 on Disney, this continues to be excellent viewing.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’ve only watched one episode but they’ve really gone nuts with the fun, snappy banter angle and the camera whipping back and forth between them. I don’t remember that feeling quite so contrived in the first series.

It’s still very watchable though.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:07 pm I’ve only watched one episode but they’ve really gone nuts with the fun, snappy banter angle and the camera whipping back and forth between them. I don’t remember that feeling quite so contrived in the first series.

There's quite a few A-List cameos in this series, I really enjoyed it.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

I know I’m late to this but Ted Lasso season 1 really is some of the best tv to be made in a long time.

Also really enjoying Bad Sisters season 1, featuring a character who has to be one of the most hateful tv characters ever and really keeping you guessing about how and when and by whose hand he meets his fate. Really great TV.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:14 amAlso really enjoying Bad Sisters season 1, featuring a character who has to be one of the most hateful tv characters ever and really keeping you guessing about how and when and by whose hand he meets his fate. Really great TV.
Loved it.
Not sure why it needs a 2nd season though, nor what they can realistically do with it.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Numbers wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:31 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:07 pm I’ve only watched one episode but they’ve really gone nuts with the fun, snappy banter angle and the camera whipping back and forth between them. I don’t remember that feeling quite so contrived in the first series.

Just finished the season and err… wow.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:44 pm
Numbers wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:31 pm

Just finished the season and err… wow.
Just caught up with The Bear. I wouldn't have thought it was my kind of thing but I enjoyed it. Nice dialogue, nice soundtrack, nice mix of drama and comedy. By the end of season 2 though, I feel almost guilty, like I'm getting my kicks watching some bipolar guys scream and cry at each other. Sydney keeps the show together for me.
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I found the dialogue and the soundtrack absolutely excruciating. I’m so confused how people are gushing over this.

I feel like the first season was good (?) but I was left kind of speechless at this one. Clearly it compelled me to keep watching, but I don’t think in the spirit the creators had intended.
Son of Mathonwy

Just finished watching sombre-tastic German time travel drama Dark.

It's quite a piece of work. I enjoyed it although it's a bit of a slog (perhaps would have been better to wrap it up in two seasons) and there aren't too many jokes (to be clear, there are no jokes). A little bit heavy on long silences and stares but as a story it's quite a construction. Impressive.
► Show Spoiler
Son of Mathonwy

Secret Invasion has a big name cast but it's really not very good.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 pm Secret Invasion has a big name cast but it's really not very good.
Oh, it's utterly terrible. I started watching it and was bored and annoyed at the same time, so I gave up, but then algorithms showed me ads with Olivia Colman's character doing fun things, so I went back in and I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Shitty underlying message of "Look out, refugees are secretly violent infiltrators!", combined with people being stupid and doing things for plot-reasons, combined with everyone talking about how great/terrifying/intimidating Nick Fury is while he did very little to nothing of note, combined with an incredibly bizarre plot about proving that Russia aren't warmongers that really, really should've been reshot and transferred to some other nation after real world events overtook it.

It also feels like Marvel have no idea what to do with the real world now that they've had The Blip. Like, the whole premise of the MCU back when it started was that it was the real world, with a few exceptional people in it - kinda like an urban fantasy. And they had the thing where they were copying from the vibe of the Nolan Batman films of trying to make the powers at least vaguely adjacent to the real world rules, rather than just being an out-and-out fantasy world.

And it's gradually drifted further and further away from that as they've added in more heroes and more powersets and more rulechanges. And now they've got this epochal, world-defining event in half the population vanishing and then returning 5 years later and they can't work out if they even want to address it and its massive logic-holes. Like, this world should be drastically different to our one. Magic is openly a thing, aliens are openly a thing, physics is drastically different, as is technology, half of the population went through a massive trauma for 5 years and the other half went through a massive trauma on discovering that the world had been going for 5 years without them. But they're still trying to film shows which are set in the current world.

Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy just pretty much ignored that it happened and had a normal world without anyone being traumatised, which I'm fine with. Whereas this piece of shit tried to have the Blip be a character motivation, but only for one person, and still have it that politics and spycraft and technology and even political movements like alt-right and sovereign citizen militias map exactly onto our world.

tl;dr - don't bother watching, even if you're a fan of Marvel stuff.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 pm Secret Invasion has a big name cast but it's really not very good.
I mean this is a pretty good general rule to follow with film and TV at the moment. The bigger and more star-studded the ensemble cast, the less anyone seems to have paid any attention to the writing.
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm
Oh, it's utterly terrible. I started watching it and was bored and annoyed at the same time, so I gave up, but then algorithms showed me ads with Olivia Colman's character doing fun things, so I went back in and I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Shitty underlying message of "Look out, refugees are secretly violent infiltrators!", combined with people being stupid and doing things for plot-reasons, combined with everyone talking about how great/terrifying/intimidating Nick Fury is while he did very little to nothing of note, combined with an incredibly bizarre plot about proving that Russia aren't warmongers that really, really should've been reshot and transferred to some other nation after real world events overtook it.

It also feels like Marvel have no idea what to do with the real world now that they've had The Blip. Like, the whole premise of the MCU back when it started was that it was the real world, with a few exceptional people in it - kinda like an urban fantasy. And they had the thing where they were copying from the vibe of the Nolan Batman films of trying to make the powers at least vaguely adjacent to the real world rules, rather than just being an out-and-out fantasy world.

And it's gradually drifted further and further away from that as they've added in more heroes and more powersets and more rulechanges. And now they've got this epochal, world-defining event in half the population vanishing and then returning 5 years later and they can't work out if they even want to address it and its massive logic-holes. Like, this world should be drastically different to our one. Magic is openly a thing, aliens are openly a thing, physics is drastically different, as is technology, half of the population went through a massive trauma for 5 years and the other half went through a massive trauma on discovering that the world had been going for 5 years without them. But they're still trying to film shows which are set in the current world.

Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy just pretty much ignored that it happened and had a normal world without anyone being traumatised, which I'm fine with. Whereas this piece of shit tried to have the Blip be a character motivation, but only for one person, and still have it that politics and spycraft and technology and even political movements like alt-right and sovereign citizen militias map exactly onto our world.

tl;dr - don't bother watching, even if you're a fan of Marvel stuff.

Puja
I just about got to the end because it was so short. Jesus, the flaws, I could write a thesis on them.

The usual, humanity faces extinction but we won't call the Avengers (et al) and the Avengers are totally unaware of the threat (because they're between movies, presumably).

Why risk collecting the actual 'harvest' when any vial of liquid would have done or even none at all given the showdown just required 'Fury' to walk into the old power station and beat the crap out of Gravik?

The Americans know there are shape changing aliens out there but do nothing to check their people for infiltrators.

The US president doesn't seem concerned about the consequences of launching a strike on Russian soil.

Fury has wilfully spent years in space, out of contact with his wife. Please don't then claim he has any interest in the relationship.

I could go on.

Not worth anyone's time.
monkey

Post by monkey »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:51 pm Just finished watching sombre-tastic German time travel drama Dark.

It's quite a piece of work. I enjoyed it although it's a bit of a slog (perhaps would have been better to wrap it up in two seasons) and there aren't too many jokes (to be clear, there are no jokes). A little bit heavy on long silences and stares but as a story it's quite a construction. Impressive.
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, I thought it was very good too. I actually rest he’d it in its entirety recently and actually enjoyed it even more on the second viewing.
Son of Mathonwy

Let The Right One In is good. It's quite modest in scope, expanding from the movies just enough to justify its existence as a series. What is does, it does well (ignoring one thing that's a bit too coincidental).
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:41 am I've just finished watching Heartstopper on Netflix and it was seriously the loveliest piece of television I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

It's a teen romance story featuring the most adorable LGBTQ babbies, with the main couple being gay nerd Charlie and what he thinks is his hopeless crush on cool, popular, rugby-playing Nick. While Nick's just really excited about his new close male friend who he really likes in a very platonic friendship definitely not romantic way cause he's liked girls before and that means he's "straight".

I kept being really nervous watching it, expecting the other shoe to drop and something horrible happen to the characters - I was waiting for a parent be really homophobic, or the trans girl going to her new school to get horribly misgendered and bullied, or the "straight" guy to say something horribly bigoted by mistake, and none of it ever happened. I mean there was drama and obstacles and some villainy (because we need a story), but none of the usual tropes of "bad things must happen to the gays" came out. It was just nice. Nice people got good things and the adorable baby gays mostly got together and it was all utterly lovely. It took me a long time to trust that it wasn't going to have horrible things, cause I'm so used to torturing the queers being a trope.

I really, really needed a bit of fiction where nice people got nice things and everyone lived in a better world than the shitheap that we currently have. Go watch it if you too need cheering up.

Puja
The second season of this has now arrived and it continues to be both lovely and entertaining. Well worth a watch!

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is this the gay agenda that Mr. Shapiro has been warning me about?