Matthew Morgan

Moderator: Sandydragon

UKHamlet
Site Admin

Matthew Morgan

Post by UKHamlet »

Retired. Always a great player to watch in broken play.

Cardiff Rugby head coach Matt Sherratt paid tribute to the Brynteg School graduate, saying: “I’ve been fortunate enough to coach Matthew three times. Firstly in 2014, at Bristol, then in my two spells at Cardiff.

“He’s been an absolute pleasure to know and work with. He was a rare talent who could get crowds off their feet in excitement and behind that he was a great professional who worked really hard at his game.

“More than that he’s a great person and we wish him and his young family every success in the next chapter. He’ll always be welcomed back at the Arms Park.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... y-27936592
Son of Mathonwy

Re: Matthew Morgan

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Excellent player. I always felt his talent was somehow wasted, perhaps because he had the talent to play more than one position. Had he just been a winger, with that step and acceleration, maybe he could have been a major star. (Although probably not under Gatland . . . not big enough).

Similar story for Jordan Williams IMHO.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:25 pm Excellent player. I always felt his talent was somehow wasted, perhaps because he had the talent to play more than one position. Had he just been a winger, with that step and acceleration, maybe he could have been a major star. (Although probably not under Gatland . . . not big enough).

Yep, two genuinely exciting players who could terrorise defences. It’s a shame that post Shane, we haven’t had someone with that combination of speed, skills and ability to spot a gap.

Best of luck to Morgan for the future.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:12 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:25 pm Excellent player. I always felt his talent was somehow wasted, perhaps because he had the talent to play more than one position. Had he just been a winger, with that step and acceleration, maybe he could have been a major star. (Although probably not under Gatland . . . not big enough).

Yep, two genuinely exciting players who could terrorise defences. It’s a shame that post Shane, we haven’t had someone with that combination of speed, skills and ability to spot a gap.

Well we did, and it was Nipper.

He just wasn't fortunate enough to get reluctantly picked by default in a RWC game, and proceed make himself undroppable for the rest of his career.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Sourdust wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:02 pm

He just wasn't fortunate enough to get reluctantly picked by default in a RWC game, and proceed make himself undroppable for the rest of his career.
He was a great player to wtach, like SOM said, him and Jordan Williams are/were the two most Shanesque players we've had since he retired, them and Keelan Giles of course. Conbeer is quite tidy in that respect also but with the kicking to wingers for aerial contest so prevalent in the game now it could be that the day of the ickle winger is over, to my mind this is a detriment to the game, they need to change the kicking laws so we don't keep getting the tedium of box kicking.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavours.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:51 pm
Sourdust wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:02 pm

He was a great player to wtach, like SOM said, him and Jordan Williams are/were the two most Shanesque players we've had since he retired, them and Keelan Giles of course. Conbeer is quite tidy in that respect also but with the kicking to wingers for aerial contest so prevalent in the game now it could be that the day of the ickle winger is over, to my mind this is a detriment to the game, they need to change the kicking laws so we don't keep getting the tedium of box kicking.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavours.
It still works for SA! :)